Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Un known badge ID help please

Article about: Hello Everyone, Can anybody shed any light on this please, thank you in advance. Kindest regards Jonathan.

Default Un known badge ID help please

Hello Everyone,

Can anybody shed any light on this please, thank you in advance.

Un known badge ID help please

Kindest regards

Jonathan.

?

Hello Severin,
    That is a USAAF Aerial Gunner wing.
    What size is it and is it marked on the back?
    Depending on size it is either for the jacket or shirt.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil,

I think you just set a record for the fastest reply!

It's not mine, it's an old friend of mine in the States. I will ask him for the info

You need.

Thank you so much Phil

?

I just happened to be perusing the site and saw it pop up.
    Yeah let me know what you hear. My uncle was a B-17 gunner, so it was an easy one to spot.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Will do Phil.

Hello Phil,

It's 3 inches across, and is marked Sterling on the back.

Jonathan.

?

That would be the Jacket type. It would be worn above the ribbon bar over the left breast pocket.
    Its a good thing to see the Sterling mark.
    Some have the maker mark on the back, while others are just marked Sterling

Here is a great site for Wings you can pass along to your friend.
    Scroll down to the US Army Air Force and take a look at the Aerial Gunner section.
    The 2" are for the shirt.

Aviation Wings and Badges of the World Wars

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you Phil.

Jonathan.

That's a great link Phil thanks

Like most of us here I have my main areas of interest but being a "full on" collector and enthusiast for all things encompassed by the umbrella term "militaria" I also have many "sub-sections" in my collection. One such sub-section is generally concerned with military forces not included in the main areas.

Anyway at one point I decided to gather a representative group of US items that interested me from the whole 20th Century. Part of this began with a USAAF pilots wing but then I figured I would gather enough for a bomber crew ie pilot, gunner, bombardier etc. But, guess what? "Mission Creep" came into it and I ended up with Supply pilot, Liaison pilot, Naval Aviator etc but I suppose that is what makes me a "Militaria Magpie"

One question I can't seem to find the answer to concerns the "Aircrew" wing. Who wore that and under what circumstances when there seems to be a specific wing for every aircrew speciality?

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but as the original question at the top was "what is this?" my question seems to fit

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

All flying airmen initially got the aircrew. When you trained/became a gunner or another specialty you would be authorized to wear that wing. Transport crews would have worn the aircrew wings. If you look at airmen in training in the states, even the bomber crews you will see they are wearing Aircrew wings in their graduation photo's. That is an easy way to spot pre combat crew photo's.
    I'm not an expert on these,but that is what I have seen so far.
    I hope that answers your question Mark.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-21-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast