Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2

Article about: Figured to show the pair I have

Quote by hftiii View Post
    Great thread! I remember reading in one of my books ("Boys in Company C" ??) that the CIB was highly prized and quite literally, a badge of honor. Interestingly, my neighbor was an infantryman in Vietnam who was WIA. He wears his CBI proudly on his Vietnam Veteran cap, along with ribbons from his service.

Tom
    Cheers Tom. Thank him hey, from me.

A very iconic badge and recognised by even those who have no idea what it is!

Here's my sole example with I believe 1943 clutches together with the current equivalent that replaced it, more than a nod to the WWII German NKS (with oakleaves, grenade and bayonet) I feel!

US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Is that last one posted, a real badge?
    Looks like some ebay fantasy crap.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Great examples guys, thanks for sharing them! If it's ok, I'd like to share a photo of my Dad wearing his.

Thanks!
    James

US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2

The Combat Infantryman's badge is indeed a coveted badge that identifies a warrior in the Infantry. Another very distinct and coveted badge of the Infantry is the Expert Infantry Badge. I was awarded the EIB after a battery of skills tests and pre qualification requirements that not every Infantryman can accomplish. Many Infantry Soldier's will go their entire career and not earn the award. Many recipients of both awards actually prefer to wear the EIB instead of the CIB based on the tests and challenges it takes to earn the badge. It took me 2 years to earn my EIB and I wore it proudly for the remaining 20 years I was an infantryman. The criteria to earn the CIB has changed over the years and now we have the CAB or Combat Action Badge to recognize non-infantry Soldiers, both men and women who have been in direct contact with enemy forces. There is controversy with the CAB as some infantry Soldiers will say that it takes away from the distinction of an Infantry Soldier if there are Combat Awards for non Infantry Personnel, but I won't get into that debate.

The US Army now is allowing women into the ranks of the Infantry and although I have not heard of a woman being awarded the Combat Infantryman's badge yet r the Expert Infantry Badge, you can be sure that it is not too far on the horizon..

As times change, attitudes and perceptions also change.. A WW2 or Korea or even Vietnam Vet will most likely have a different opinion on the current criteria needed to earn the CIB vs when those Soldiers in previous wars were in combat since the requirements now have changed. At one time a Soldier had to be engaged for no less than 30 days in combat to earn the CIB and now with the advancement of weapons and tactics it is not likely that an infantry Soldier will be in sustained constant combat for 30 days or more, so the requirements changed to meet the current operations..

Either way, the CIB and EIB are two of the most recognizable awards of a US Army Soldier..

Smitty

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Is that last one posted, a real badge?
    Looks like some ebay fantasy crap.
    I know what you mean Greg but yep it's real!!US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2

It comes in bright silver, black, black / green embroidered and small size for Mess Dress. I believe their is / are camouflage version(s) as well.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Chopperman,

That badge is the current CAB or Combat Action Badge that is awarded to non Infantry personnel who have been engaged in combat with the enemy. All non Infantry MOS's are eligible for the award if they engage with the enemy. Engineers, Military Police, Field Artillery, Signal, Medics, you name it, many of these Soldiers have been awarded this badge.

The infantry has the EIB, Expert Infantry Badge which tests a Soldier in the infantry on their skills. After many tests and pre requisites an Infantryman can be awarded the EIB. In the medical field there is a similar badge called the EFMB, the Expert Field Medical Badge. Similar criteria to the infantry a medic is tested on many of the medical skills and after testing may be awarded the EFMB. A medic in combat will be eligible for the CMB or Combat Medic Badge, similar to the infantry's Combat Infantry Badge. Since WW2 these two badges the CIB and CMB only recognized the deeds of infantry and medics. The Army under some pressure needed to also recognize Non infantry and medical personnel who were also constantly in harms way. Truck drivers, MP's Artillerymen who went on combat patrols in Iraq and Afghanistan were being subjected to ambushes, IED attacks and firefights and they fought with honor and distinction. The Army designed the Combat Action Badge to recognize these Soldiers who performed their duties as infantry and are now recognized with the CAB. They are not eligible for the Combat Infantry Badge because one of the distinct requirements to be awarded the CIB is that you must hold an 11 series infantry MOS or 18 series Speical Forces MOS to be eligible..

Hope this make sense..

Smitty

Thanks Mark

No disrespect intended to all those who have worked so hard to earned that badge but this is
    why I collect mainly Imperial German items. It just does not look very good.

Thank you Smitty.

It does make perfect sense and I do see the need to have that badge.
    It's just a shame that the could not come up with something better looking.
    gregM

myself around.

Here is picture of me wearing the EIB (Expert Infantry Badge) just prior to my retirement

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images US Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award Clutch Back Sterling WW2 

3 1/2 years overseas. Thank you for your service Master Sgt.
    gregM

myself around.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast