Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Distinguished flying cross

Article about: Hi guys in my quest for a few more awards of the United states i picked up this early DFC in its box with the button hole pin. Unfortunately the pin back medal ribbon bar is missing (if anyo

Default US Distinguished flying cross

Hi guys in my quest for a few more awards of the United states i picked up this early DFC in its box with the button hole pin. Unfortunately the pin back medal ribbon bar is missing (if anyone has one to part with feel free to pm me) I say its an early one hopefully WW2, because it has the slotted loop suspender that came out in 1939 and was superseded in 45-46 by the crimp type brooch. As we know though there were large stock piles of medals with the old brooch that were still being awarded well into the 60's so who knows when it was awarded (if at all) anyway pleased to fill an Airforce gap in my collection. Thanks for looking ,Paul

Paul,

Great looking medal and the presentation case is also well preserved..

Smitty

Very nice Paul. In near pristine condition. The ribbons aren’t that hard to find I don’t believe if you keep an eye out on eBay.

MAP
    ?

Yes, should be easy to find a ribbon. Shipping will probably cost more than the ribbon bar itself (at least here in the US).

The award looks great but I think you may have your information wrong on the dating of the Slot Brooch. Although being less than an expert on US awards I'm happy to be corrected. I know there are different sources with slightly different dates but it is my understanding (The Call of Duty book) that the Slot Brooch was first widely adopted around 1944 and was used up until the 1960's. The Crimp Brooch was introduced shortly after the war and overlapped the Slot Brooch. It was used extensively for the Victory Medal and other campaign awards but didn't see widespread use (i.e. for Valor awards) until the 1960's.

That said, the box is WW2 era. So I think it is safe to assume the award was made during WW2.

Happy to stand corrected.

Here is another link with examples of brooch styles

MEDAL BROOCH GUIDE - Welcome to MedalMulisha.com, add us to your favorite social media
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great link Michael thanks for that its a great read, i got my info from this one out of interest, Guidelines on date of issue of US Medals (Part 2). – usmilawards.com (whats a couple of years between friends) thanks for all the positives, Kindest regards, Paul

MAP
    ?

Nice link. I will bookmark this one as well.

Yeah...there are variations between peoples data so it is hard to tell for sure. There are others here with more experience than I (Brig, Smitty, etc.) but I think the 44 date is more commonly accepted. There is also a thread over at the US Military Forum but I can't seem to find it.

Either way a great award. I have two (cased and no case), both missing the ribbon bar and pin). Both are exactly like this with the slot brooch.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

OMG Michael, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the link (medal brooche guide).
    Very useful for me.

Santi

MAP
    ?

I found a thread on US Military Forum. Unfortunately Photo hosting was used and many photos are gone. But regarding the slot brooch, yes, there were examples dating to 1939, but I think these had a very limited use with just a couple of awards for a short period of time.

So I guess this is where all the confusion comes to those like us who do not actively study the nuances.

So basically, until others correct me, I think it is fair to say that the Slot Brooch did not see widespread use until 1944.

Brooch or Broach?? - Page 2 - MEDALS & DECORATIONS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Paul,

Michael set you on a good course for guidance on the types of brooches or broaches as it is so commonly interchanged.. with the links. Medalmulisha has provided some very detailed information about the decorations that used the early type mounting devices and Michael summed up the assessment with some key words... WIDESPREAD USE..

I would not have any issues placing this decoration within my WW2 era decorations, and yes these decorations were awarded as late as Vietnam and in some cases later due to overstock. WW2 era Purple Hearts were being issued as late as Vietnam..and if memory serves me I have seen photos of the coffin cased Purple Hearts being awarded in Vietnam...

The condition of yours is remarkable and would be a tough one to upgrade any further (except for a named one)..

When I have a second I have a grouping to a Navigator who was shot down over Germany and became a POW for the duration.. Ironically his plane was shot down over my wife's city of Ludwigshafen,,

I have his medals and other items and I will look at his DFC to see what type of brooch was used,, Now he received multiple DFCs during his career so it may be hard to determine if these decorations were awarded after he was released from captivity or prior but I will have a look at them..

Best regards

Smitty

Update..

I was able to look at the DFC that was awarded to the Navigator who became a POW and the type medal is a slot brooch type.. He was shot down in 1944, but this may have been awarded to him prior to his shoot down or as mentioned previously it was awarded after he was liberated in 1945..

I need to photograph and post this grouping as I have never had the chance to photograph the group, but I was able to get a substantial record from NARA. This POW also brought home a nice police bayonet (the stag horn grip Police Eagle was removed)… I will post pictures of the whole grouping soon..

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast