Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US Medal Bar - post WW2 & Korea

Article about: Hello all.....got two things in the post yesterday, this is the other item....nothing too spectacular but these are getting harder to find and I got it for a nice price ! consisting of 1) Ar

Default US Medal Bar - post WW2 & Korea

Hello all.....got two things in the post yesterday, this is the other item....nothing too spectacular but these are getting harder to find and I got it for a nice price !

consisting of
    1) Army of Occupation Medal with Germany bar and Berlin Airlift Device
    2) National Defense Medal
    3) Korean Service Medal with bronze arrowhead device for air operations
    3) UN Korean Service Medal with a quite faded ribbon

Really nice.
    First time I see the Occupation Medal with Germany bar with the Berlin Airlift Device.
    Congrats

Santi

I'd say the occupation medal with the Berlin Air device is spectacular that's really interesting, great pick up!

Must have been an officers medal bar since there is no Good Conduct Medal.

good point...I didn't think of that...I was thinking there could have been another 2-3 piece bar which would have mounted above this bar...following the correct order of precedence, there would have been room for the good conduct + a ww2 campaign medal which both rank higher than these awards....that said, I think your thought is more likely correct...thanks
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Quote by KatManDude View Post
    good point...I didn't think of that...I was thinking there could have been another 2-3 piece bar which would have mounted above this bar...following the correct order of precedence, there would have been room for the good conduct + a ww2 campaign medal which both rank higher than these awards....that said, I think your thought is more likely correct...thanks
    Kat, that is also a very good possibility. Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure.

in order to get a good conduct medal outside of WWII, you have to have a spotless record for 3 years

?

Personally, I'm leaning towards a second bar that's missing from WWII service.

I agree with Brig, the Occupation with Korean Service + 1 campaign tells me either an officer top bar or more than junior enlisted bar missing. I’d expect an officer with multiple campaigns to have a valor or at least ARCOM for service. Enlisted top bar I’d expect to find the GCM at a minimum. Interesting the suspensions are mounted with longer drapes which is more akin to a Navy/USMC mount but it’s not a big deal. It’s a nice representative bar for Occupation/Airlift plus later wartime service.

Kat,

This is a nice medal bar, but I am curious as to how you come to the conclusion that the bronze arrowhead device was for Air Operations? Are you suggesting because of the Airplane on the Army of Occupation Medal?

I agree with Brig and I believe this to be a partial medal bar which can't tell the whole story. The Korean War Service Medal with the Bronze Arrowhead device could have been for an Amphibious Landing at Inchon or Parachute Assault by the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat for their combat assaults at Sukchon/Suchon and Musan Ni, or other combat assaults.. We may never really know...

Air Operations would more than likely merit an Air Medal or Distinguished Flying Cross, something along those lines.

Ground personnel as well as air crews who participated in the Berlin Airlift were eligible for the Airplane Device after participation in Airlift of at least 90 days.

I have highlighted the criteria specifically for the Bronze Arrowhead device below...

The Bronze Arrowhead device criteria: "The Arrowhead device is a miniature bronze arrowhead that may be worn on campaign, expedition, and service medals and ribbons to denote participation in an amphibious assault landing, combat parachute jump, helicopter assault landing, or combat glider landing by a service member of the United States Army or United States Air Force". "

"A soldier or airman must be assigned or attached as a member of an organized force carrying out an assigned tactical mission. A soldier or airman must actually exit an aircraft or watercraft to receive assault credit. Individual assault credit is tied directly to the combat assault credit decision for the unit to which the soldier or airman is attached or assigned at the time of the assault. Should a unit be denied assault, no assault credit will accrue to the individual soldiers or airmen of that unit".

Being stationed in Berlin I received the Army of Occupation Medal and Germany Clasp in the 80's. I still have my dress medal mount with AOM and Germany Clasp.

Smitty