Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...

Article about: Hi, About 18 years ago I purchased a paperwork grouping to 1st Lt Douglas McKay Cooper Jr. (0776877) a bombardier with the 490th Bomb Group, 849th Bomb Squadron, 8th AAF, 93rd Wing. He flew

Default USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...

Hi,

About 18 years ago I purchased a paperwork grouping to 1st Lt Douglas McKay Cooper Jr. (0776877) a bombardier with the 490th Bomb Group, 849th Bomb Squadron, 8th AAF, 93rd Wing. He flew a full tour as part of 'Hann's Crew' on B-17s. He was awarded the Air medal (with 5 OLC), which also came with the grouping but I'm trying to establish that this is his/correct to the group. It's not named but is engraved 'Awarded Nov. 12 1944'. He did not fly operationally that day but I don't know whether the 'award date' is the date that the award was given or the date of the action/event it was given for. The medal card is dated May 30 1945 but this appears to be just his general entitlement. Can anyone enlighten me or provide any additional info on Cooper and specifically his award of the Air Medal.

Many thanks

Quote by Spike633 View Post
    Hi,

About 18 years ago I purchased a paperwork grouping to 1st Lt Douglas McKay Cooper Jr. (0776877) a bombardier with the 490th Bomb Group, 849th Bomb Squadron, 8th AAF, 93rd Wing. He flew a full tour as part of 'Hann's Crew' on B-17s. He was awarded the Air medal (with 5 OLC), which also came with the grouping but I'm trying to establish that this is his/correct to the group. It's not named but is engraved 'Awarded Nov. 12 1944'. He did not fly operationally that day but I don't know whether the 'award date' is the date that the award was given or the date of the action/event it was given for. The medal card is dated May 30 1945 but this appears to be just his general entitlement. Can anyone enlighten me or provide any additional info on Cooper and specifically his award of the Air Medal.

Many thanks
    Hi there.

It is always a good idea to post some photos of your items.

Here is a handy guide on how to upload your photos -

Visual Guide to Upload Photos

Kind regards,

Will.

As Will said it’s always best to post pictures of the items in question. Many times members will give lots of extra information in addition to what you are directly asking.

Now for your question…..usually the “awarded” date will be the date the award was approved and received the awarding authority’s signature so it’s not necessarily the date the action took place or when the award was presented. Since he received 5 subsequent awards of the Air Medal the date probably corresponds to the first award

Good idea - will sort a few pics...

- - ------- - -

Thanks for the info...

So here are a few pics. The paperwork is extensive so just the bones to ID the chap. Just noticed the air medal has a number scratched on the back of the ribbon bar '99228'? Any further comments invited... Thanks!USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...USAAF 8th AAF Air medal query...