Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Of Victoria Cross interest

Article about: As many medal collectors of British awards do, I have always had an interest in the VC... a somewhat plain-looking medal made of bronze, which is the highest honour our nation can award to a

Default Of Victoria Cross interest

As many medal collectors of British awards do, I have always had an interest in the VC... a somewhat plain-looking medal made of bronze, which is the highest honour our nation can award to a soldier for supreme acts of courage. Impossibly out of reach for virtually all but a select few of collectors - due to it's high value - most of us have to make do with a copy. There are copies, and then there are copies. Most are junk, although Hancocks - the official maker of the VC - did produce a very fine copy to commemorate the 150th anniversary of it's inception... 1,357 in total - and all individually numbered. They are still being sold today - the take-up having been somewhat slow.

Aside from the replica's made for collectors, there were also 'tailors copies' for veterans to wear instead of their hugely valuable original VC. Some veterans had them named, and some didn't. Back in November 2019, two such medals were auctioned by SPINK. The first was the replacement medal belonging to Private J. Doogan of the 1st Dragoon Guards. Doogan was awarded his VC for his actions on January 12th 1881 at Laings Nek during the first Boer war. The second replacement medal was that worn by Sgt J. Danaher of the Connaught Rangers for his gallant act on February 12th 1881 at Elandsfontein - also during the first Boer war.

Of Victoria Cross interestOf Victoria Cross interest
    (Pictures off the SPINK website - which are also in the public domain)

SPINK described the medals in their catalogue as: Of Victoria Cross interest - an old well-struck tailor's Cross, a fine quality tailors copy of some age. I think it would be safe to assume that both medals are around 120 years old if it is accepted that they were worn by the recipients in place of their precious originals.

Last week I was scrolling through the VC copies on Ebay when one particular medal caught my eye. I recalled the two copies sold by SPINK in 2019, and after trawling through loads of photographs on line - I finally came across them. Comparing the images against the eBay example, there was no doubt in my mind that this was another tailors copy from the same era - although this example isn't named.

Of Victoria Cross interestOf Victoria Cross interestOf Victoria Cross interestOf Victoria Cross interestOf Victoria Cross interest

I think that this copy must have slipped under the radar of other collectors, as I was quite surprised to win it for a mere £26. The detail on it is very fine and well executed. VC copies are usually smaller than the original and the cross itself measures 34mm X 39mm compared to the 36mm X 41mm of the original. But this tailors copy measures 39mm X 43mm. It is manufactured in bronze and weighs 28 grams. Ribbon is original to the medal - although the is no brooch bar. The last picture shows the VC next to a 1950's copy, and the quality of the detail is quite evident.

Cheers,
    Steve

Very interesting Steve! These replicas are certainly made to a very high standard. Congratulations on winning it!

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Very interesting Steve! These replicas are certainly made to a very high standard. Congratulations on winning it!

Andy
    Hi Andy, not so much a replica, but a highly detailed tailors copy made for wear. I have only ever seen three others. The two sold by SPINK, and another similar one owned by a collector in Portugal and shown on the GMIC forum.

Cheers,
    Steve

The truth is that it looks like an excellent reproduction. After reading your post, I just got up from my chair to see my cheap replica bought in the late 90s and I realized how bad it is.....but it looks pretty cool next to my diorama of Rorcke's Drift defense.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

Regards
    Santi

Great find, Steve!
    Thanks for sharing.