Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 Military Cross

Article about: Hi I am interested in a military cross grouping and would appreciate any opinions on originality of the one attached. Cannot see any issues with the MC but at the price asked wanted to make

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    For the sake of future reference, I've found a couple of images. Original ribbon on the left, modern production on the right. I do note the white fields of the older MC ribbon seems to be more cream-coloured, though that may just be down to age or lighting.B.B.
    Good comparison.

Personally I believe that the colour difference is a combination of age and material. The original silk ribbons were naturally a slightly creamy hue rather than the harsh brilliant white of modern materials. That's just the nature of undyed silk. Ribbons made from silk today have the same hue but with the edge difference.

Regardless of the shade, the edge appearance is a very good indicator with most medal ribbons as you pointed out. That is purely down to manufaturing technology and if repro / replacements cannot be made on old machinery they will look different!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hello Comleyn,

I have also found the following for you :

WW1 Military Cross

Article mentioning the award of the M.C. to Capt. O E H Leslie RGA, published in his Old School Magazine

WW1 Military Cross

London Gazette entry for Captain O E H Leslie in 1921

Hope that they are of use to you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

All three ribbons are clearly replaced. The Victory ribbon in particular should have the watered moire effect which is not usually reproduced these days. Otherwise they look good. There was a scandal involving the production of fake MC's in recent years but I think they were mostly engraved on the back to highly collectable recipients.

Having asked for additional photos I was informed the group has now been sold but just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their assistance, guidance and sharing of knowledge as it would be fair to say that I have learnt a great deal from it. Thank you, nic.

A very informative thread and though this group might have slipped through your fingers it is right to examine them in such detail given the potential outlay in money. The experience and shared opinions are worth as much and will still be there for the next opportunity.

?

Dixons Medals has an RGA MC & pair group, court mounted, for 1155 pounds; also with an MID device.
    MC is unamed .
    A bit more, but well mounted & also has MID.
    RGA MC's have to be among the least expensive of WWI.

BobS

Thank you BobS for the signpost to Dixons, I will take a look at that grouping.

?

Quote by comleyn View Post
    Thank you BobS for the signpost to Dixons, I will take a look at that grouping.
    I have bought medals from Chris Dixon going back almost 30 years, as have two of my closest friends, and would have full confidence in buying from him.

BobS

Hello Comleyn,

Photographs of the Dixons medals below with info, hope it helps you :

WW1 Military Cross

WW1 Military Cross

Arthur Clifford Swift MiC.

M.C. London Gazette 3 June 1919 Arthur Clifford Swift, a native of Bramhope, near Leeds, was born in September 1890, and enlisted in the King’s Royal Rifle Corps in November 1915. He served with the 21st (Yeoman Rifles) Battalion, K.R.R.C. during the Great War on the Western Front from April 1916, where he quickly saw action at Ploegsteert Wood. Afterwards ordered to the Somme, his Battalion was severely mauled in an attack on Flers on 15 September, and Swift was wounded by a gunshot in the back at Transloy on 5 October 1916 and evacuated to the U.K. via Rouen. Swift was subsequently commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery in May 1917 and joined 254th Siege Battery out in France in August 1917. For his services during the Great War he was Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette 23 December 1918) and awarded the Military Cross. The 21st Yeomanry Rifles were raised about 1915 and were based at Duncomb Park, Helmsley. Sold with copied research.

WW1 Military Cross

WW1 Military Cross

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2