Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1917-dated Mills Bomb

Article about: Does this Mills Bomb look to be generally complete (with the exception of the igniter and explosives, of course!). I believe I can make out the top of the striker and spring, when I peer thr

Default 1917-dated Mills Bomb

Does this Mills Bomb look to be generally complete (with the exception of the igniter and explosives, of course!). I believe I can make out the top of the striker and spring, when I peer through the hole in the top. Also, could the split ring and pin be original, or a later replacement? Thanks.

1917-dated Mills Bomb
    1917-dated Mills Bomb
    1917-dated Mills Bomb
    1917-dated Mills Bomb
    1917-dated Mills Bomb

Nice Mills bomb. The pin and ring look modern and aged to my eyes.
    John

Nice piece... Made by M&P = May & Padmore. Here's a site to help you.

Mills grenades

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Nice Mills bomb. The pin and ring look modern and aged to my eyes.
    John
    The pin and ring look original to me.

I’ve read in more than one place that split rings are WW2 or later, but it seems this is incorrect and there were WW1 Mills Bombs with split rings (as compared to solid rings).

Is that a wool grease covered filling plug in the picture?

Split rings are WW1 and 2. The first no5's often came with a small split ring for which a hook was used to pull them. With the several thousand I have dealt with both in UK and on the battlefields the mix and type are entirely random and I believe down to what was available to the manufacturer at the time.

Likewise markings vary and a lot is down to what the manufacturer could get away with in the quality assurance stage and still get paid. The more you can get away with the worse and cheaper the marking. It is still the same today!

On a serious note, I believe that the grenade shown has wool grease waterproofing the filling hole and plug. I can see a faint line where the slot for the screwdriver or plug spanner would go. As this has never been removed since manufacture then my professional opinion is that although as you say there is no fuze, it does still contain the main explosive charge of Baratol as without removing that plug you cannot, (illegally) inert the item. I know the center detonator well and striker guide can be removed with difficulty but that seems in situ as well. Removal of that is not easy and stupid as trapping explosives in screw threads will invalidate your life insurance for being an idiot.

So over to you, but currently you are in possession of illegal explosives for which the penalties are sever. 'Inerting' the grenade will carry the same penalties and more and risk your life doing so, or hand it over to the authorities and be a good responsible person.

As ever, sound proffessional advice from someone who does this for a living and knows what he is talking about. Please follow it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

On a no less serious Note.
    The condition of the bail suggests this ones been "reset" quite often

1917-dated Mills Bomb

If it was you then please do stop playing war until it's been checked professionally

Well some message like, 'thank you, I will contact the authorities' or some such would have been nice! Instead the silence would suggest that the opposite is more likely.