Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2" British Mortar, Smoke or Practice

Article about: I picked this up at a local show. Looks to me like a 2" mortar smoke round or practice. Not sure and would appreciate opinions. Does not look like it was used if it is smoke. Nice condi

Default 2" British Mortar, Smoke or Practice

I picked this up at a local show. Looks to me like a 2" mortar smoke round or practice. Not sure and would appreciate opinions. Does not look like it was used if it is smoke. Nice condition overall.
    John

2" British Mortar, Smoke or Practice2" British Mortar, Smoke or Practice2" British Mortar, Smoke or Practice2" British Mortar, Smoke or Practice

Yes it's a 2" smoke and I'd say it's been used.
    Take a look at the holes forward of the spigot

A picture of the base of the body around the tail unit would be useful, (spigot Teck? You need to practice your native language more, I'll call you.). Big question: Is the bakerlite disc in place and unbroken? If so it is a live 2" Mor SmK filled with a Berger type filling. From the condition of the Tail Unit it appears unfired so I suspect that it may well be live.

On the plus side, as there is no fuze, (the main filling is ignited by the hot propellant gasses on firing) the chances of you hurting yourself is remote, however the legality of owning one is a different matter dependant upon your location. As I believe you are in the USA then under their laws anything that is not a tactical weapon is permitted I think!

Museum quality example minus the fact of if it is live.

R

Thank you for the replies. What color smoke does it emit? Were there multiple colors used similar to the US? It is still filled but no fuse. I was not sure if it was a weighted practice round. We have a lot of both filled smoke and live smoke rounds more so than empty ones in the US from what I have seen. They are legal to own as well as safe to own, in my opinion, when cared for and handled properly. Do not pull pins on any type of grenade anywhere or anytime unless you want to emit a whole lot of smoke or light a fuse on a training grenade. Attached is the pic of the base.
    John

OK. It's live. Thought I could see powder burns in the proppellant holes but the smoke holes are def. not burnt2" British Mortar, Smoke or Practice
    2 Inch Smk HC.pdf

John,

Smoke is white and intended as a smoke screen not signalling smoke. My first proof firing in 1980 was 2 inch mortar smoke, with practice at about 500 yds you could put 3 bombs in a 30 Ft circle with ease.

Beware of smoke produced! Since the time these were used we have discovered that the inhalation of these smokes it quite hazardous to health sometimes long term due to the carcinogenic effect. Also with Smoke Grenades we lost 4 soldiers when a smoke grenade functioned in a house and they asphyxiated! In addition the grenade or mortar gets extremely hot and if near combustible material will result in having to call you to squirt water at the now burning property.

Teck,

That cutaway is a bit weird! What is the Det and booster looking bit in the rear of the Bomb Body? It is not a WP version as I have a couple of those, (for the 2 inch Bomb Thrower) and they are identical to the HE with a No151 Fuze but with a WP fill. There is also another variant based on the HE design but we can talk by other means about that type. It is not one issued and only experimental and not in your AOR.

R

Hi Vegetius
    I have this more detailed drawing

Quote by spotter View Post
    Hi Vegetius
    I have this more detailed drawing
    Exactly.
    It's the delay Pellet.
    The original 2" posted doesn't have one so that confusion is my doing

That explains it. In the later version that is changed to a layer of delay composition, and why I asked as it is different to the ones I both learned and used.

Never consideted it beyond just poking a hole in the closing disc and stuffing in 4 inch of safety fuze!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    That explains it. In the later version that is changed to a layer of delay composition, and why I asked as it is different to the ones I both learned and used.

Never consideted it beyond just poking a hole in the closing disc and stuffing in 4 inch of safety fuze!
    True, every little bit helps but the delay made little sense anyway. If you weren't firing out of concealment the puff of smoke that came with every Shot was easier to follow than the thin smoke stream behind the projectile.
    HC and it's products are considered chemical weapons here so the safety Fuze Idea is out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast