Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

40MM Shell case

Article about: Please can anyone give me some information on this shell casing I have just purchased. I do not really collect ordnance but they make nice decorative pieces to go with my edged weapon collec

?

Default 40MM Shell case

Please can anyone give me some information on this shell casing I have just purchased. I do not really collect ordnance but they make nice decorative pieces to go with my edged weapon collection.

regards Luke
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 40MM Shell case  

Its for the Bofors 40mm light air defence gun... I served on the 40/70 version from 1969 until converting to Rapier in 1973. The ammunition was fed into the gun in clips of four rounds and had a rate of fire of 240rpm. Illustrated below is an instructional round which I have owned for some years. The gun pictured is the wartime 40mm version.

Cheers,
    Steve

40MM Shell case40MM Shell case40MM Shell case 40MM Shell case

?

It’s a Canadian casing

PP/C = Pedlar People

CF= means cordite filled

/|\ = crows foot acceptance stamp

1942 - obvious

Lot 88 also just being it’s batch number

Primer stamps-

No12 being the primer type

BR - ROF Bridgend

Again in 1942

Steve won’t your one be a longer post war example in regards for the casing if it’s a 40/70 (OPs casing being a L/60 at 311mm and l/70 being 364mm)

?

Thank you so much for the quick reply's. I'm pretty happy with it considering it was a car boot sale find this morning.

?

Car boot sales finds are always great! Especially when you have been through multiple stands of household Knick knacks, old toys and clothing. Then militaria always catches your eye!

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Steve won’t your one be a longer post war example in regards for the casing if it’s a 40/70 (OPs casing being a L/60 at 311mm and l/70 being 364mm)
    I never said the round was 40/70... although the gun I was a 'first class layer' on was a 40/70.

The round I have is a 1958 dated Mk 4 which is possibly for the naval 40mm Bofors. I don't know much about stamps and codes, but all the interesting stamps on the projectile and fuse were removed when the round was sectioned. This is a proper instructional round, and not something that has been done by a collector. I admire your knowledge of munitions John.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

It’s a cracking round in any case. I don’t even have a empty 40mm bofors casing yet, just not something I have really got around to getting!

?

Very true always nice finding something interesting among all the Knick knacks at car boots lol

?

I can't assist any further than the info given,

But that is an awesome cutaway Steve
    Very Cool display piece.

Semper Fi
    Phil

A few pictures of the actual projectile. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

40MM Shell case40MM Shell case40MM Shell case40MM Shell case40MM Shell case40MM Shell case40MM Shell case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast