Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

500lb Bomb

Article about: Evening Everyone, I've finally got my camera cable back so time to flood the forums with posts Here I've got some photos of a 500lb bomb (most likely, too big to be 250, too small to be 1000

?

Default 500lb Bomb

Evening Everyone,

I've finally got my camera cable back so time to flood the forums with posts

Here I've got some photos of a 500lb bomb (most likely, too big to be 250, too small to be 1000), and we need a positive ID on it, so we can fit the correct tail section. Pictured are 2 british 500lb tail sections and one 250lb GP "No 2" tail section. Neither are a good fit, after a bit of digging we suspect it's an American 500lber, AN-M64. Could any of you ordnance experts confirm please?

500lb Bomb
    500lb Bomb
    500lb Bomb
    500lb Bomb
    Image0581.jpg
    500lb Bomb
    500lb Bomb

The front opening is around 6cm, while the rear one is around 17cm, I forgot to measure the length. It is just a shell and completely inert.

Please excuse some of the photos being oriented the wrong way, I'll fix that in a moment.

Thanks,
    Martin

Default Re: 500lb Bomb

I can be of no help whatsoever, but cool item I wouldn't mind a dirty great bomb like that in my war room

?

It belongs to the Malta Aviation Muesum Ergo all the bits of Gloster Meteor in the background.

Nitram

I went to Malta years ago as a kid, about 8 ish. Didn't really appreciate all the goodies around at the time. I do remember that church with the bomb in it though pretty vividly.

?

That would be the Mosta Church.

Nitram

?

Red face Re: 500lb Bomb

I remember the Mosta Church very well, also the Glouster Gladiator in the Museum and parts of an ME109, recovered from the sea bed, the striking thing about my visit was the old RAF buses still in use, all brightly coloured, loved the place, even Straight Street

?

The Ghoster Gladiator is (wingless) in the Malta at War museum, while the Malta Aviation Museum has a set of wings... It's all quite complicated, but they're trying to work something out. Though I have a feeling we'll recover enough spare parts to build a 2nd Gladiator before an agreement is reached

Nitram

?

correct an American 500 Lbs, Brittish tails won't fit on them

?

Cheers!

Nitram