Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

57mm US

Article about: Hello Does anyone out there have any information on a 57mm US anti tank gun training round that utilises a rifled barrel inside a wooden bodied Drill type round please ? Bit of a weird one b

Default 57mm US

Hello
    Does anyone out there have any information on a 57mm US anti tank gun training round that utilises a rifled barrel inside a wooden bodied Drill type round please ?
    Bit of a weird one but hopefully someone will know about it.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by normandie44; 02-18-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Nobody heard of it ? I think maybe the calibre is actually 6pr 7cwt not 57mm.

An image and exact dimensions I think is needed please.

Hello
    Yes, you're quite right. The item in question is in Normandie at the moment and I can't take any images. I'm searching my files for any I may have taken in the past. It was a bit slow of me not to have thought of this.
    When I am free to travel again I will pursue this further.
    Thanks for your interest. It is an interesting round. I imagine it was for training gun crews without the need for firing full calibre, more expensive ammunition.

It sounds like a sub-calibre training device. in addition to the normal external measurements the internal barrel diameter is needed to determine what was the sub-calibre round.

If you're looking for a 57mm round with an internal rifling that fires a sub-calibre It's probably not a 6pdr...
    Wasn't the 6pdr Training round simply wooden with a Steel reinforcing rod up the middle?

Pretty sure you're looking for a .30 Cal Maschine gun Barrel that was mounted in the recoilless. Wasn't issued Kit but enough Units built them to make it a semi-official Training modification

Hello
    Thanks for your input. As I said in my second post, it is 6pr 7 cwt. It is I suspect, a Training round, not a Drill round, and intended to familiarize the gun crew with actually firing and laying the weapon with sub calibre , cheaper ammunition. Definitely not 57 RCL, that is an entirely different beast altogether.
    I have asked for more info about this round on other forums but am still looking for some documentation. The calibre appears to be .303 and there was some mention on another forum of the existence of a sub calibre training round in .22 calibre.
    Thank you all for your help with this. I am sure that somewhere there lurks a War Office pam that explains this weird round.

Photo's? Measurements?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57mm US  

Hello
    As I said in an earlier post, the actual item is still in Normandie so I cannot access it at the moment. I will do so as soon as I can travel once again. The diagram you show is of a 57mm RCL not a 6pr 7 cwt. If you can imagine a 6pr 7 cwt AP Drill round, made of wood and brass, but with the internal addition of a rifled barrel you have pretty well got the picture of this round about which I seek info.
    A bit vague, I know, and I apologise for any frustration caused. I just feel there will be some written documentation out there somewhere.
    Again, thank you or your input and interest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast