Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on metal detecting for live ordnance

Article about: Hi guys any advice on how to find live rounds? Ive found many shell casings in my time metal detecting ww2 small arms testing facility's here in Canada but only few live rounds. I know some

?

Default Advice on metal detecting for live ordnance

Hi guys any advice on how to find live rounds? Ive found many shell casings in my time metal detecting ww2 small arms testing facility's here in Canada but only few live rounds. I know some people have there tricks to find probable spots of left behind munitions and im just wondering what you guys do. Ive found 30+ shell casings in one whole before of several different calibers but not a single live round, made me think that if there is any around, it would be about 5-6 feet around any shell dumps because most likely the ejection would have sent those shells further from the shooters standing point and his standing point would be where he would have dropped a live round. Do you guys agree? Or have any other tricks?

At least during current times;; nobody wastes a live round. Battlefield locations are much more common place for live rounds including many dangerous to handle ordnance. It would be uncommon to find live rounds at local gun ranges. It is not uncommon to locate live rounds at ammo manufacturing plants. We had a couple of plants close to me that you can still find live rounds, grenades, bazooka rounds and such.
    John

CBH
    ?

As a fellow Canadian, we are too cheap to drop live ammo.
    Your lucky to find brass.

Lee
    ?

there are old live fire ranges that have been closed IE Chilliwack Vernon training area. But most live fire ranges that have been closed are cleared for ammo and salvage to a shallow depth( not sure of depth) but each year stuff gets pushed up due to frost heaves and erosion. so if you get permission you may find items that are working there way up. ranges on bases are required to clean all salvage from ranges. in the old days you could find salvage that was buried or left in the woods . i remember fighting fires in CFB Gagetown and Petawawa we would find stuff all the time ordinance would start popping off. In Petawawa as we cleared an area we found live 105 ,76 and small arms that had been there for around 20 years. Needless to say with the fire getting close we had to evacuate.

?

Wow thats insane. The range i detect on closed in the 70s but was operational since ww1. Im guessing theres a whole load of live ordnance thats hasn't been cleared. Hope to find something cool for my collection.

- - ------- - -

Agreed.

?

I’m sorry you want a relic live round in your collection?!? Or am I misunderstanding something...

?

Thats very interesting. Why do you think that is? They left them out on the testing range and forgot bout them? And how do you suggest pin pointing probable locations of live rounds? I have numerous points of reference in the field i detect in. There is a concrete back stop that was used to stop stray bullets and sound baffles still standing, all 80+ years old. I have mapped out certain aspects of the forest some of which are littered with shell casings.

?

No grenades or mortars obviously lol im talking more on the level of a 9mm or .22 possibly even some .303s nothing to dangerous

?

Be safe is all I can say plus if you desperately want war time ammo just buy inert ones online

MAP
    ?

Even small caliber rounds can be dangerous if they go off accidentially.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast