Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British 2pounder shell cases.

Article about: These cases are owned by a neighbour, they belonged to his late father who as a teenager lived in Valletta /Malta during WW2. I am hoping someone can give me some background as to whether th

Default British 2pounder shell cases.

These cases are owned by a neighbour, they belonged to his late father who was a teenager living in Valletta /Malta during WW2.

I am hoping someone can give me some background as to whether they could be Navy/Army and their use .(I am assuming AA). And the head stamp details.

Regards Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 2pounder shell cases.   British 2pounder shell cases.  

Last edited by VERSUCH; 04-26-2022 at 09:22 AM.

British Naval 2 Pdr CARTRIDGE Cases Lot 955 of 1943 the Cart Case was manufactured by Elswick Cartridge Company (ECC) The mark in the lozenge is the acceptance mark, (a method quality control).

The No27 Primer is Lot 742 of 1943 possibly Kynoch made or filled, ( I will look into the BR 9 43 which I think is the assemblers details).

Your informative reply is much appreciated.

Here's one I have for a comparison, if it helps? I know nix on these!

Yep its way above my pay scale Rene !
    Thanks for posting another example...

Cheers Mike

The headstamp ECC does NOT refer to Elswick. For this company the headstamp is EOC....Elswick Ordnance Company or Corporation
    The headstamp ECC is for Edward Curran Cardiff.

Now that's weird, I have two period documents and they say both of those company's ! I will go with the Cardiff one because Shirley Bassey used to work there!