Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Can anybody Identify?

Article about: Hello everybody. Was trying to do some research and I stumbled across this forum. Found this shell in my recently deceased fathers garage. Can anybody identify it for me. Thanks in advance.

habshead
    ?

Default Can anybody Identify?

Hello everybody. Was trying to do some research and I stumbled across this forum. Found this shell in my recently deceased fathers garage. Can anybody identify it for me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anybody Identify?   Can anybody Identify?  

Can anybody Identify?   Can anybody Identify?  

Last edited by habshead; 02-24-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: edit to add pics

Default Re: Can anybody Identify?

Hi,
    It looks like a W.W.1 18lbs, shell head i have one in my collection with the same dimentions. It looks in nice condition are you going to get a shell case and complete it. Great for display.
    dave.

?

Definately ww1 , I have one from the somme , Mine has steel ball bearings in side which i believe was designed for an airburst detonation and and was set by the brass adjustable fuze head.

Quote by habshead View Post
    Hello everybody. Was trying to do some research and I stumbled across this forum. Found this shell in my recently deceased fathers garage. Can anybody identify it for me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hello,
    I believe the fuze for your projectile is a WW1, No.80 twin distance fuze. This was used with, among others, the 18 Pdr artillery shell. It became obsolete in 1943.
    I'm sure one of our more experienced members will give you more information.
    Best regards,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anybody Identify?   Can anybody Identify?  

Navyman

You little beauty ! You just ID'd something for me by accident !

Bottom right of this picture looks exactly like the piece second from left, bottom right in yours Inside piece of a fuse

Great stuff !

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anybody Identify?  

lucky you

cheers,

?

It looks like Austrian 75mm shrapnell pot with mod. 12 fuse...common used in mountain guns, specially here in Isonzo front.
    They also used those guns with shells like this for antiaircraft defence...they had do dig the lafette into the ground. Filled with lead balls, and in the bottom metal disk and black pouder fillind wich pushed balls out of the pot.
    Yours wasn't shot, take a look at the brass cylinder in the bottom of the pot.

Thanks Steve,
    Glad the picture helped, have you finished digging up that airfield yet?
    Cheers,
    Guy.