MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Cartridge Identification.

Article about: Hi everyone, hope you're all well and having a good day. I have these two cartridges. I had assumed that they were both .55 boyes anti- tank rifle cartridges, until I put them together. I am

Default Cartridge Identification.

Hi everyone, hope you're all well and having a good day.

I have these two cartridges. I had assumed that they were both .55 boyes anti- tank rifle cartridges, until I put them together. I am pretty sure that the one on the right is for the boyes AT rifle as it is belted. the one on the left is smaller in length and width. If anyone can help me out it would be great.

Oh and markings are: Left hand round: K41 F.I.Z and right hand cartridge: K41 W II

Thanks

Vicky
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cartridge Identification.  

?

Default Re: Cartridge Identification.

The left hand round is .5 Vickers semi-armour piercing F Mark Iz made by Kynoch in 1941 and as you say, the one on the right is a .55 Boys Armour piercing W Mark II, again made by Kynoch in 1941.

BTW, it is "Boys" not "Boyes".

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Quote by TonyE View Post
    The left hand round is .5 Vickers semi-armour piercing F Mark Iz made by Kynoch in 1941 and as you say, the one on the right is a .55 Boys Armour piercing W Mark II, again made by Kynoch in 1941.

BTW, it is "Boys" not "Boyes".

Regards
    TonyE
    Thanks for the info, legally, where do you stand with these?
    They are both inert however i have heard that to own Armour piercing rounds are illegal even if they are inert?
    Sorry if that sounds like a daft question to someone with experience such as yourself

Vicky

?

Armour piercing ammunition is a prohibited type under Section 5 (1A)(e) of the Firearms Act and the projectiles, whether loaded in an inert case or not, are prohibited under Section 5 (1A)(g) of the Act.

S.5(1A)(e) states:

(e)any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard-core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour;

Thus even your semi-armour piercing .5 inch Vickers is illegal.

One way to cicumvent this is to remove the steel core, but technically this can only be done by a person with Section 5 authority to hold them in the first place. Also it is not as easy as it sounds.

Of course, the best way is to obtain an FAC variation giving S.5 authority which I have, but that is another story.

Regards
    TonyE

Thank you very much for the information

Vicky

Im just wondering i collect inert ammounition and have looked at gettin som SAP/AP rounds if you did have one what would be best to do if you are not covered under section 5??
    Regards Tim

Sounds like the USA in a few years. BTW nice hard to come by cartirdge. timothy

I have one the same as the one on the left Its a nice round but is the projectile not allowed?

?

It depends on the load. the prohibited types are armour-piercing and incendiary, so for .5 Vickers if the headstamp is F I Z, F G IZ (or IIZ or IIIZ) or B I Z then the projectiles are Section 5 and prohibited.

A ball round (headstamp included just "II") then you are fine.

Regards
    TonyE

Quote by TonyE View Post
    It depends on the load. the prohibited types are armour-piercing and incendiary, so for .5 Vickers if the headstamp is F I Z, F G IZ (or IIZ or IIIZ) or B I Z then the projectiles are Section 5 and prohibited.

A ball round (headstamp included just "II") then you are fine.

Regards
    TonyE
    Luckly mine is none of them mine is R arrow l k 41