Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch Bullet ID Bonanza

Article about: Hi Folks, I found a bunch of bullets I can't ID, and was hoping some of you could help me! All were found in an area where there has been a Dutch military presence since at least WW1, as wel

Default Dutch Bullet ID Bonanza

Hi Folks,

I found a bunch of bullets I can't ID, and was hoping some of you could help me!
    All were found in an area where there has been a Dutch military presence since at least WW1, as well as some German activity during WW2.

And now, the picture:

I've found a bunch of the bottom, large bullet. It appears to be made of lead. I initially thought it might be for the Dutch Mannlicher rifles, but it turns out it's waay to big for that.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I'd also be interested in what the white cores are made from in the top 2 bullets.

Edit:
    I'm also wondering whether the bullet below is a musketball. Approximate size is 13mm. Anyone know?
    Last edited by Karmold; 11-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.

?

It is difficult to be sure due to the corrosion, but the top bullet is probably a .303 british, used by the Dutch in the post WW2 years.

The centre bullet is an M1 carbine ball, again used by the Dutch military.

The bottom bullet is an 11mm Dutch Beaumont, adopted in 1871 and used until replaced by the 6.5mm Mannlicher.

I cannot be sure about the last picture. It could be a musket ball but it could also be a shrapnel ball from an artillery shell (more likely)

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Quote by TonyE View Post
    It is difficult to be sure due to the corrosion, but the top bullet is probably a .303 british, used by the Dutch in the post WW2 years.

The centre bullet is an M1 carbine ball, again used by the Dutch military.

The bottom bullet is an 11mm Dutch Beaumont, adopted in 1871 and used until replaced by the 6.5mm Mannlicher.

I cannot be sure about the last picture. It could be a musket ball but it could also be a shrapnel ball from an artillery shell (more likely)

Regards
    TonyE
    Thanks Tony! You keep answering my ammo questions - much appreciated!
    Is there anything I should be looking for on the ball that could help determine whether it's a musketball? Mould marks and the like?

I found some resources online saying 13mm was an existing caliber for musketballs, so I was getting my hopes up.

?

It is difficult to tell as there will be no rifling marks on a musket ball. However, I think the chances that it is are quite high for a couple of reasons.

The ball looks to be cast rather than swaged. There are pock marks on the surface from air bubbles and what looks like the remains of the sprue at three o'clock, both pointing to a rough cast musket ball. Shrapnel balls tend to be much better made and smoother.

On balance go with a musket ball!

Cheers
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/