Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Finnish 15.2cm case question

Article about: Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit more info about this case. It's a 15.2 cm case used, at some point, by Finland (judging by the stencilling). From what I've found, these shells were used in 15

Default Finnish 15.2cm case question

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit more info about this case. It's a 15.2 cm case used, at some point, by Finland (judging by the stencilling). From what I've found, these shells were used in 152/45 C guns, these seem to be of Russian origin and a fair number were already in Finland pre-war. What I'd like to know is who manufactured this case? It's 1941 dated and Finnish stencilled. Could it be captured Russian? German made for Finnish use? The markings photographed are the only ones present.

Thanks.

Finnish 15.2cm case questionFinnish 15.2cm case questionFinnish 15.2cm case questionFinnish 15.2cm case question

?

I am leaning towards being Finnish produced? A Russian shell by 1941 would be marked 41r (not 1941) for the year?

Can’t really determine the DB makers mark

Edit - considering the size and that’s it definitely not German…. Sweden gave aid to Finland during ww2. Could be a shout

Sweden could be a shout. Bofors made a 15.2cm gun for the Swedish Navy, although I don't know if they used cases or bag charges.

Re. the makers stamp, in hand it looks more like OB

I've seen these marked as 15,2cm and 15.2cm, either L2, L3 or L4 but always marked OB.
    The gun is a 152mm Canet/Schneider of French Design, pre WW1 Russian license production left behind 1918 by the russians and therafter used against them (at least until the cold war started)
    My presumption is that the Fins produced their own ammunituon as 15.2cm and took delivery of German production as 15,2cm.
    While it is possible that 152x1090mm guns and ammunition were captured somewhere during Barbarossa or Silver Fox it would not have been necessary to re-stencil them for finnish use... The fins were bashing the russians til 1940 in the Winter War and a lot of them could still speak Russian from the last occupation
    Last edited by Teck 147; 03-27-2023 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Typo

Thank you very much for the information. It looks more like .2 as opposed to ,2 so leaning towards Finnish produced.

Not Russian definitely.

Question, if they dug one of these guns in really well would it be FIN stabilised?

Taxi, I'll get my coat!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Not Russian definitely.

Question, if they dug one of these guns in really well would it be FIN stabilised?

Taxi, I'll get my coat!
    You're FINished