Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fuze ID

Article about: Hi there, would anyone fancy a guess at what family of fuze this fragment came off? the ringed base looks like it served as a sort of turntable to increase friction against another piece whi

?

Default fuze ID

Hi there, would anyone fancy a guess at what family of fuze this fragment came off?
    the ringed base looks like it served as a sort of turntable to increase friction
    against some other piece which was turned to set the fuze delay. x is a large central hole
    for some spindle, y w appear to be passages for a flash train, v a pivot for some (centrifugal?) part
    , z is not a pipe, but a sort of piston, much like the stopwatch pusher that fits into a watch bezel.

fuze ID

fuze ID

fuze ID

fuze ID

the number of blank .303 and nato cartidges in the vicinity (ex range - Vogelsang)
    remotely suggest it was post war allied.

I understand its not much to go on . But I will look up any leads / jargon you might
    notice from its design.

many thanks
    Randi

Most probably a Fuze No 117. Points W and V are for the Shutter and Shutter lock with Z being the stop pin that holds the shutter in place. X is the firing pin channel and y is where the pin that holds the shutter spring in place was. Not much but I have conducted forensic investigations with less and come up with an answer!

Nice to get one that required at least 5 minutes to find, ah well now back to doing exactly this for a living!

Oh, and Vogelsang was used as a range where this fuze might well be expected. What I would do is recommend not going looking for things on Ex ranges as that is a good way to upset your life insurance provider and cause my colleagues a whole lot of paperwork for which we would not thank you!

R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    What I would do is recommend not going looking for things on Ex ranges as that is a good way to upset your life insurance provider and cause my colleagues a whole lot of paperwork for which we would not thank you!R
    But surely, all former range areas are 100% cleared and safe I thought

Or is that a little too otimistic/ trusting / naive?

Great tech knowledge BTW

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-02-2021 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    But surely, all former range areas are 100% cleared and safe I thought

Or is that a little too otimistic/ trusting / naive?

Great tech knowledge BTW

Regards

Mark
    You'll be telling us next that you actually live in Imber!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    You'll be telling us next that you actually live in Imber!
    But it is so lovely and peaceful (most of the time) in Imber Village and I always manage to find an empty pew in the church.

Anyone who doesn't get the joke see here; Imber - Wikipedia

Regards

Mark

PS Imber can be a very dynamic place to enjoy outdoor pursuits such as running, jumping and rolling in the mud
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I prefer the manor house at Bovington ! Although you missed the best game at Imber Mark - Hide and Seek!

I live in a Glass cupboard with a sign on the outside that says, "In Case of War Break Glass"!

Oh, are regarding clearance the rule for minefields in 1946 was if 90% or more mines were found then the area was clear! So how clear do you think the large training areas like Vogelsang would be?

I recall reading somewhere recently that the Argentine minefields in the Falklands had been classed as cleared ? But as none of them were even properly mapped when they were placed I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I recall reading somewhere recently that the Argentine minefields in the Falklands had been classed as cleared ? But as none of them were even properly mapped when they were placed I'm not sure how accurate that is.
    Exactly so and you can't rely on the organic mine detectors (Penguins) as they tend not to be heavy enough unlike the avergage squaddies boot!

Caution is the word and will be for the foreseeable future!

Regards

Mark

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I prefer the manor house at Bovington ! Although you missed the best game at Imber Mark - Hide and Seek!

I live in a Glass cupboard with a sign on the outside that says, "In Case of War Break Glass"!

Oh, are regarding clearance the rule for minefields in 1946 was if 90% or more mines were found then the area was clear! So how clear do you think the large training areas like Vogelsang would be?
    Exactly, just as after WWI it was considered safe to bury sulplus shells under a couple of feet of farmers field. That was all well and good (cows don't do a lot of digging) until the new houses at Gomeldon were built and Porton Down ordnance disposal site suddenly had a storage problem

Haha, yes hide and seek as well as the "Jack-in-a-Box" game when you walk where you were told not to (in the impact area).

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-02-2021 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Apologies, didn't mean to take this off topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast