Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German 20mm Shell Case?

Article about: Hi all. I have had this a while and am trying to find something out about it. All I know for sure is that it is a 20mm shell case. There are no markings on it at all. The closest thing to it

Default German 20mm Shell Case?

Hi all. I have had this a while and am trying to find something out about it. All I know for sure is that it is a 20mm shell case. There are no markings on it at all. The closest thing to it I have found thus far is the ww2 German 20mm (see pic below) although if it were German I would have expected it to be marked? Any info would be fantastic. Cheers.

Oh and measurements are 20x100mm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 20mm Shell Case?   German 20mm Shell Case?  

German 20mm Shell Case?  

Default Re: German 20mm Shell Case?

Could you get a clearer picture of the headstamp

Ok, here you go. As I said, no marking. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 20mm Shell Case?  

151/20 ?

?

It is a modern American 20mm Vulcan case for the M61 gun in many US aircraft such as the F4 Phantom. They are not headstamped, but only marked on the projectile.

see attached picture.

Regards
    TonyE
    Attached Images Attached Images German 20mm Shell Case? 
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Looks like your correct Tony Never come across one of these before. Unusual not having headstamps. Cheers.

Hi these were not head stamped at all. All the markings would have been put on in ink.
    Andy

I dont think the two belong to eachother. The case is of a M61, but the shell looks German, and I think I can see the three lettre code. To me it looks like a 2cm Flak round put on a used M61 casing. It would fit, but its not as it should be IMHO.

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    I dont think the two belong to eachother. The case is of a M61, but the shell looks German, and I think I can see the three lettre code. To me it looks like a 2cm Flak round put on a used M61 casing. It would fit, but its not as it should be IMHO.
    If your are talking about the 3rd pic down in my original post of the complete round, that is not mine, it is a photo i plucked from the internet to illustrate what I though my shell case may have been. Sorry if this has caused confusion. Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestion

?

The German round that was posted as an example is not a 20mm Flak proj on a M61 case but an original MG151/20 Armour Piercing Incendiary round with Phosphorus filling.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast