Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?

Article about: Hi Guys Getting the house decorated at the moment and got chatting to my painter and decorator who asked about the hobby having seen a few bits of militaria lying around. Told him what I did

Default This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?

Hi Guys

Getting the house decorated at the moment and got chatting to my painter and decorator who asked about the hobby having seen a few bits of militaria lying around.

Told him what I did and next day he turned up with this, said it had been in his mums garage for years and had belonged to his dad.

Any help in identifying the gun it was fired from and what the markings mean would be appreciated.

Just goes to show whats still out there waiting to be uncovered !

cheers

Tony

This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?

Default Re: This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?

Looks like a 15 cm field gun made by Spandau.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Hi Eric

Thanks ! Ironic that my name sakes made the guns !!!

cheers

Tony

That is cool Tony.
    At first I thought 7.7 cm but now I see it is larger so it looks like it could be 15 cm.
    And from what I understand the sp stands for Spandau.
    Nice find.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

The maker is Polte of Magdeburg.

?

Agreed, it is Polte. The "Sp" is an inspector's number.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

what ever,its a nice ww1 item to have.

An excellent WWI shell case from a German 15cm gun. Commonly known as a 6 inch by Americans and a 5.9 by the British, these big shells were extremely versatile and were used in an enormous number of different applications. A Very nice find, for sure!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I believe the shells from these were known as "Jack Johnsons" (after the famous colored boxer) or "Coal Boxes" due to the amount of black smoke they gave off on impact.

Thanks for posting. I have one similar to this........ wasn't given it though

Cheers Guys.

This forum is the place to go for quality info !

Thanks for the info.

Tony