Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help id this shell

Article about: Hi folks ! new here, beginning a ww2 collection of mostly german items...kind of a suite of my granddad start...got a hand on a nice shell casing from a friend last week...would did a bit of

Default help id this shell

Hi folks ! new here, beginning a ww2 collection of mostly german items...kind of a suite of my granddad start...got a hand on a nice shell casing from a friend last week...would did a bit of search and kind of an england shell...but not sure about the size, year or gun used...
    i am sure people here knows alot more than me about it
    help id this shellhelp id this shellhelp id this shell

Wish I could help, pics are too small! good base plate shots will give the clues the the sharp one's here.

help id this shell
    Attached Images Attached Images help id this shell 

CBH
    ?

The broad arrow mark denotes British manufacture.

Definitely a British shell. The arrow is a War Department property stamp, and 'CF' indicates a cordite charge. 'RL' may stand for 'Royal Laboratory', which would indicate it was manufactured at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich.

I'm not sure of the age of this shell. The '97' could indicate a date of either 1897 or 1997. Looking at the patina, the latter is more likely.

Regards, B.B.

?

What is the length of the case in MM`s and the inside measurement of the open end in MM`s.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

It is a British shell. As suggested above, the 'RL' indicates that it was manufactured at the Royal Laboratories, Woolwich. They closed in 1967. The 'CF' indicates that it contained a cordite charge. I don't think the '97' indicates a date. I have seen these two digit numbers on shells from World war I and feel it could be an inspection mark. I may be wrong.

105mm? ahh

It's not a shell. It is a QF Cartridge Case! As others have said it is a Royal Laboratories manufactured, Cordite Filled Cartridge and definitely from 1897.

Can we have pictures with a scale and the dimensions, (in metric and imperial is best) otherwise positive ID is impossible. It is not likely to be WW2 the shelf life of cordite propellants is less than 20 years so this would be out of date by the end of WW1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast