Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying rotating bands

Article about: Found this and thought it might be helpful for those trying to identify projectiles.

Default Identifying rotating bands

Found this and thought it might be helpful for those trying to identify projectiles.Identifying rotating bands

I have used Driving Bands, (DB), (the term Rotating Band is a horrid colonialism) as an identification medium for years. The WW1 projectiles are best for that although some WW2 are easily ID'd by the DB, (try the 17 Pdr or 3.7 In AA which stands out a mile).

As UK alone has dozens of different design for each war your list is not really comprehensive but it is a start. For British WW1 the Treatise of Ammunition 1915 and for WW2 The Text Book of Ammunition 1936 are good start points. What your diagram shows is the method of stopping slippage of the DB which is normally not seen unless the DB is missing but very useful when the locals have hacked off the DB for the copper.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I have used Driving Bands, (DB), (the term Rotating Band is a horrid colonialism) as an identification medium for years. The WW1 projectiles are best for that although some WW2 are easily ID'd by the DB, (try the 17 Pdr or 3.7 In AA which stands out a mile).

As UK alone has dozens of different design for each war your list is not really comprehensive but it is a start. For British WW1 the Treatise of Ammunition 1915 and for WW2 The Text Book of Ammunition 1936 are good start points. What your diagram shows is the method of stopping slippage of the DB which is normally not seen unless the DB is missing but very useful when the locals have hacked off the DB for the copper.
    Good info Rod

As ever, it just isn't that simple

To use a phrase I have used thousands of times over the years as a qualifier at the end of an incident report;

"Witness reliable"

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-26-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Remember anything that starts with either of the phrases " I have a good idea", or, "I wonder what would happen if....." is automatically a bad idea and should not be done!!

In reality each nation uses methods for attaching driving bands that are completely different from other nations and as such your list is very helpful indeed. Thank you for posting it. I am not aware of many different systems in use in each country.
    Identifying projectiles, found on battlefields, from which the bands have been removed is vastly simplified by utilising a list such as yours.
    Driving band....rotating band..... makes no difference

"Driving band....rotating band..... makes no difference" It does if you are a professional and want me to qualify you to Operate!! The use of correct terminology that is standardised and accurate is vital to us, a simple mistake at the beginning in terminology can lead to nightmares at the end in trying to conduct a Render Safe Procedure.

Is it me ? Or am I missing something here ? Surely every nation has their own terminology that is, for them, totally correct. Driving band, rotating band, ceinture de rotation...whatever. All are correct for the user in that country. A stranger in a foreign country has no right to deem them wrong in their useage of terminology. Given that the band also performs obturation it could also be called an obturation band, could it not ?
    Personally, given the function of the item in question, namely to " rotate " the projectile I think rotating band is closer to the actual function performed. This is my personal view and as such it is not open to correction.
    We all naturally think we are trained to the best possible standards but must realise that " there is other life out there "
    No offence intended by any of the above.