Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Kwk43 Projectile Colors

Article about: Can any of you help me determine the color of the HE projectiles used in the German tanks using the KwK43 rounds? I've been told yellow and green. Seems the yellow is rare with the big 88. A

Kwk43
    ?

Default Kwk43 Projectile Colors

Can any of you help me determine the color of the HE projectiles used in the German tanks using the KwK43 rounds? I've been told yellow and green. Seems the yellow is rare with the big 88. Are there any photos showing the original color.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Kwk43 Projectile Colors

Frankly it's up in the air. I know that the AP projectiles were black with white tips and I have heard that the yellow HE FLAK projectiles were used... but also I have been told that Feldgrau was also used. The KonigsTiger in the german tank museum has a KwK43 HE round in front of the tank which has a case painted green... with a yellow projectile. I had not seen a green case before. I am sure that somewhere there are printed standards... but since so few ofthe KonigTigers were ever in service what ammo was available at the time was used either in the PaK 43 or the KonigsTigers

?

Default Re: Kwk43 Projectile Colors

As far as clearly original paint finishes go for the 8,8cm KwK36 I actually only know of yellow Sprgr. shells, however for the KwK42 and KwK43, I've only seen green. Does that mean there were no green KwK36 shells or yellow KwK42 and KwK43 shells? Not necessarily, but someone would have to prove it. It does seem possible when you look at 5cm shells- there were definitely both yellow and green ones, although I have several images of green and only one yellow.

Gray was supposedly a color used on Gr. Patr. 38 Hl shells, however I've seen original painted green ones too so I'm not sure if it's true, or if it was for long.

Anyway, here's an example of a green-painted Sprgr. Patr. in about as good condition as it could be, proving that green was definitely a real color used.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kwk43 Projectile Colors  
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...