Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kynoch .303 MKVII Air Service rounds

Article about: Another one of my “purchased a while back but never posted” items. A box of 10 .303 air service rounds made by Kynoch in 1928. With purple annulus denoting a ball round and a nickel jack

?

Default Kynoch .303 MKVII Air Service rounds

Another one of my “purchased a while back but never posted” items.

A box of 10 .303 air service rounds made by Kynoch in 1928. With purple annulus denoting a ball round and a nickel jacketed projectile.

Not much else to say here! I think I recall reading that these Air Service rounds had a very short storage life before no longer being effective for Air plane MGs but I can’t confirm that. That and I think these were made for export to Latvia or somewhere but I really can’t remember since been ages since I looked into this. Might be something for me to do tomorrow.

Kynoch .303 MKVII Air Service roundsKynoch .303 MKVII Air Service roundsKynoch .303 MKVII Air Service roundsKynoch .303 MKVII Air Service rounds

Nice rounds! My grandfather had clips of German ammo up at his house in PA, I'll have to look for those next time I go up.

?

Hey those sound pretty cool. Can’t wait to see them!

I can't wait either, 'cause I forget what they look like lol!

be very careful of the Blue tipped Air Service rounds. I've seen a kinetic bullet puller destroyed by one exploding!

Yes the air service rounds had limited life before being relegated for ground training use. The military boxes I think used to have a Use before date for synchronised guns.

It was probably the Batch Key Identity which in Small Arms is actually a work date, (the date of manufacture). From that date is extrapolated the Shelf Life Expiry Date (SLED) which is when the ammunition either ceases to be usable or requires more testing to extend it's life.

You must be RLC or Ex RLC as not many people know what a BKI is.

Kynoch .303 MKVII Air Service rounds

Here’s a nice photo

?

Thanks you guys for the additional information and photos!

I found the source of where I recalled reading it was for export to the Baltic states

Headstamp question - General Ammunition Discussion - International Ammunition Association Web Forum

If that guy was correct or not I do not know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast