Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Large WW1 German artillery shell case

Article about: I went out with a friend this morning to have a look around a local antique emporium. I came across a brass German shell case being sold as an umbrella stand. The case is dated January 1918,

Default Large WW1 German artillery shell case

I went out with a friend this morning to have a look around a local antique emporium. I came across a brass German shell case being sold as an umbrella stand. The case is dated January 1918, it measures 8.5 inches across and stands 9 inches high. The case hasn't been cut down, so I would assume it is from one of the large howitzers the Germans used - possibly one of the Skoda's. I managed to get it for £26 after a bit of bartering. I have placed it next to an 18pdr and a (WW1) .303 round to give a better size comparison. The stampings on the base of the case are rather worn - and do not show up that well. I cannot remember the last time I saw a case of this size being offered for sale. Fortunately for me the vendor didn't have a clue what she had!

Yet more military junk for the wife to complain about!

Large WW1 German artillery shell caseLarge WW1 German artillery shell caseLarge WW1 German artillery shell case

German 21 cm case ?

Yes, I think it probably is!

Hello Steve. Glad you were able to pick this one up. Great find!

Luke

?

Nice score Harry My shell collection is a junk mail and receipt receptacle... Drives the wife nuts! LOL

Quote by Slade View Post
    Nice score Harry My shell collection is a junk mail and receipt receptacle... Drives the wife nuts! LOL
    Oradour has been around this evening with another one for me! I tell my friends that the 21cm case is a spittoon...

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I went out with a friend this morning to have a look around a local antique emporium. I came across a brass German shell case being sold as an umbrella stand. The case is dated January 1918, it measures 8.5 inches across and stands 9 inches high. The case hasn't been cut down, so I would assume it is from one of the large howitzers the Germans used - possibly one of the Skoda's. I managed to get it for £26 after a bit of bartering. I have placed it next to an 18pdr and a (WW1) .303 round to give a better size comparison. The stampings on the base of the case are rather worn - and do not show up that well. I cannot remember the last time I saw a case of this size being offered for sale. Fortunately for me the vendor didn't have a clue what she had!

Yet more military junk for the wife to complain about!

Large WW1 German artillery shell caseLarge WW1 German artillery shell caseLarge WW1 German artillery shell case
    I don't know what she's complaining about.....With one that big she only has to go out to the coal bunker once a week.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Its got brewers droop.

Oooh that's a big one!...