Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M17Na German WW1 Imperial Eierhandgranate "egg grenade"

Article about: Just added this to my very small ordnance collection. An excellent condition M17Na German WW1 Imperial Eierhandgranate "egg" grenade. Just some minor surface rust. Maker marked &qu

MAP
    ?

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I've dealt with several hundred of these over the years, actually far more than Kugel's. Both use an alloy friction fuze and these have a real habit of rotting which leaves a friction sensitive compound with a loose wire and no idea if it is safe or not. Neither, as an EOD Operator are favourites of mine.
    In my other role as an archaeologist I part of a team was making a documentary series a few years ago and two episodes were at Loos. On one in addition to four soldiers i found a stash of Pickelhaube in a trench store. About 200+ were of the steel design but about 20 to 30 were leather. What had presumably happened was that they had been withdrawn and replaced with stahlhelm and dumped there. The trench was securely stratified as 1917 so they were still around then. Actually thinking about it when we dug Pte Alan Mather NZ Army in Plug Street he had a Pickelhaube in his small pack and he died on 7 June 1917.
    Interesting. I think the fuse on this one is deactivated and it is in solid condition with no deterioration. But I won't be pulling the cord anytime soon! LOL

As you've handled so many of these, would really love to hear what your experience has been. Types, condition, etc. From what I have read, this type (while not rare) is less common with this fuse type.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'll have a look in my Photo archive tonight.

Found this one of the Grenades found over a 4 day dig.

By the end of day 5 I had some great 150mm to go with them 2 were chemical one HE 1 required an Xray to determine fill.

WARNING: Until you have at least 30 years as an EOD Operator do not attempt any of this!

MAP
    ?

Quote by vegetius View Post

Found this one of the Grenades found over a 4 day dig.

By the end of day 5 I had some great 150mm to go with them 2 were chemical one HE 1 required an Xray to determine fill.

WARNING: Until you have at least 30 years as an EOD Operator do not attempt any of this!
    Even with 30 years of experience.....I'll let someone else do the honors!

Thanks for the photo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Last friday was 41 years. Oh, and I still have all ten fingers and the right amount of legs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3