Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M17Na German WW1 Imperial Eierhandgranate "egg grenade"

Article about: Just added this to my very small ordnance collection. An excellent condition M17Na German WW1 Imperial Eierhandgranate "egg" grenade. Just some minor surface rust. Maker marked &qu

MAP
    ?

Default M17Na German WW1 Imperial Eierhandgranate "egg grenade"

Just added this to my very small ordnance collection.

An excellent condition M17Na German WW1 Imperial Eierhandgranate "egg" grenade. Just some minor surface rust.

Maker marked "LOD" on the bottom (Maker as far as I know is unknown).

Fully intact with fuse and ceramic pull.

This variant has a more pronounced segmented ring. Fuze is the last type used and from what I read, harder to find.

The Fuze is designated as Mle.1917 - It is of the Friction type with a 5 second delay

These are little buggers. The actual size is that of a medium sized egg (hence the name). I've added a photo next to is much larger and heavy kin. The Kugelhandgranate Model 1913 Aa which weights 2 lbs.

Last edited by MAP; 09-18-2020 at 01:41 AM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dos
    ?

Nice display, Never seen one complete with the fuse and ceramic pull. From the ones i've seen not all are marked LOD on the bottom. Hope we have some members here that can tell us what this stands for!

Dos

Very cool pickup, always enjoy your little displays in your posts.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Dos View Post
    Nice display, Never seen one complete with the fuse and ceramic pull. From the ones i've seen not all are marked LOD on the bottom. Hope we have some members here that can tell us what this stands for!

Dos
    Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Very cool pickup, always enjoy your little displays in your posts.
    I stumbled across this and as it's been a while since I purchased anything I decided to pick it up..

It is in remarkable condition and completely intact. Finding one with the ceramic pull is hard.

In my research, I found a list of maker codes (none tied back to a maker). There had to be 20+ identified with LDO being one

Bothi: Glad you like the Montage. I have very little WW1 but over time this will change as this is an area I'm now focusing on as I shift (for the time being) away from Third Reich.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very Nice..

I like things that go boom...

I have never seen one other than in books..

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Very Nice..

I like things that go boom...

I have never seen one other than in books..

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty.

This doesn't go boom anymore but it will give you a massive headache it you get hit in the head with it

They are out there if you search. But most often they are pretty beat up, relic condition or not fully intact. So I got a bit lucky when I saw this.

Great display, I also don't think I've seen one this intact before. While the potato masher is iconic I really like these and the circular impact grenade. There's one part in the memoir "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger (great book definitely worth a read as well as the French memoir "Poilu") where he mentions these being used on the first day of the kaiserschlacht by a group of German soldiers raiding a British trench.
    Last edited by Politefaun; 09-18-2020 at 03:51 AM.

MAP, that’s a great example! Smaller than I thought.
    Photographs very well with the haube too!
    Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Great display, I also don't I've seen one this intact before. While the potato masher is iconic I really like these and the circular impact grenade. There's one part in the memoir "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger (great book definitely worth a read as well as the French memoir "Poilu") where he mentions these being used on the first day of the kaiserschlacht by a group of German soldiers raiding a British trench.
    I will have to get a ww1 era potato masher one day. I have a WW2 example. But agree, the 1915 Diskushandgranate is another type I will keep my eye out for.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    MAP, that’s a great example! Smaller than I thought.
    Photographs very well with the haube too!
    Andy
    A bit of a faux pas on my part. I should have used an M16 or M18 helmet, as this grenade is an M17 model LoL. Only caught this after I posted it! LoL

They are tiny. Without powder is weighs just 9.6 oz (272 grams) while the M13 weighs 22.7 oz (642 grams).

It's roughly the width of a golf ball (excluding the middle band). The band was added as the early version (which lacked it) was hard to throw and slipped out of muddy hands.

Not necessarily a faux pas MAP. I have read that the Pickelhaube though replaced on the Western Front quite rapidly in 1916, could still be found in use on the Eastern Front until around the middle of 1917.

Further to this, on page 170 (Vol 4) of Michael Baldwin’s Feldzug series, photos of an M.15 enlisted mans pickhauble are shown. According to Baldwin this haube was collected from the battlefield after the first battle of Bullecourt in 1917. So while a scene like this was perhaps unlikely, its definitely not out of the realms of possibility that there was some crossover.

Great photos as per usual by the way.

Andy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast