Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M31 300 lb Air Bomb

Article about: After posting my M1917A1 helmet, it's time for me to post my other favorite collection, the M31 300lb Air Bomb! I bought it from the same helmet seller too. To be honest i was lucky to got t

Question M31 300 lb Air Bomb

After posting my M1917A1 helmet, it's time for me to post my other favorite collection, the M31 300lb Air Bomb! I bought it from the same helmet seller too.
    M31 300 lb Air Bomb
    M31 300 lb Air Bomb
    M31 300 lb Air Bomb
    M31 300 lb Air Bomb
    M31 300 lb Air Bomb
    M31 300 lb Air Bomb

To be honest i was lucky to got this because the seller thought this is just a lump of metal. You can't blame him because this bomb looks so innocent since the seller got it from an ex-school in Madiun East Java. The bomb was used as school bell! And later the seller shared to me some photos, this bomb was lying on the field for some times after it's not used anymore.
    M31 300 lb Air Bomb
    Metals for hanging the bomb as school bell?

Too bad i still can't put the bomb in the second story of my home since this thing it's not light! It's literary still outside of my home for a year. I plan to bring it in later in this August.
    As you can see there's some various paints applied on the bomb. From black, turquoise, until white. I'm not yet check the exact weight of the bomb but the size is the same describe in this site.

M31 300 lb Air Bomb
    The bomb attached on ML-KNIL B-10

So my question is:
    1. Beside for B-10 and B-17, is this bomb also can be equipped for the B-25?
    2. Is this bomb still made after world war 2 started?
    3. Is there any information about what the bomb original color when it's on ML-KNIL service?

I still want to investigate it's history.
    Thank you in advance.

Hi Timur ...what is the overall size of this bomb?

and you are in the correct forum in finding out further information on it.

I can imagine when it was used as a school bell ..it must of had a low tone to it..but enough for the sound to carry far enough for ears to hear.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    The horizontal Suspension was standardised, for Demo and GP bombs, which aircraft was used didn't really matter.
    The 300lb MK I and II were obsolete quite early on. The M31 were still being produced after March '42 when the main colour (including left over obsolete Models) changed from yellow with black markings to Olive Green with black markings and yellow band.
    All were phased out and replaced by the M57 250lb

MAP
    ?

Nice to see you posting again Timur.

I nice interesting item you have there
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Timur ...what is the overall size of this bomb?

and you are in the correct forum in finding out further information on it.

I can imagine when it was used as a school bell ..it must of had a low tone to it..but enough for the sound to carry far enough for ears to hear.

Best Larry
    The length is approximately 51 inches. I can't check it's diameter but the case is 0.2 inches thick and the two suspensions is 14 inches apart.

Yes sir, i'm curious myself. I guess i'll try it myself when i finally bring it upstairs.

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    Hi.
    The horizontal Suspension was standardised, for Demo and GP bombs, which aircraft was used didn't really matter.
    The 300lb MK I and II were obsolete quite early on. The M31 were still being produced after March '42 when the main colour (including left over obsolete Models) changed from yellow with black markings to Olive Green with black markings and yellow band.
    All were phased out and replaced by the M57 250lb
    Thank you sir, beside pre-war i guess there's a possibility this bomb came to Indonesia during 1946-1949 with the ML-KNIL B-25.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice to see you posting again Timur.

I nice interesting item you have there
    Thank you sir. I'm not massively collecting as i used to be but i'll do my best in contributing the forum.

Thank you again, this bomb will become a nice attachment for my lost battalion book.

If you can measure the girth you can calculate the caliber.

Oh. And something else...

Please, please do not Sir me,
    I actually work for a living

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post
    The length is approximately 51 inches. I can't check it's diameter but the case is 0.2 inches thick and the two suspensions is 14 inches apart.
    Just noticed something.
    Are you sure she's a M31?
    51" is decidely too long.

The M31 was 40" long, 11" Diameter with 0.27" thickness
    The M32 was 49.5", 15" and 0.35"

I got the info from this site Bomb, 300 lb Demolition, M31 . Is the information from the site, wrong?

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post
    I got the info from this site Bomb, 300 lb Demolition, M31 . Is the information from the site, wrong?
    The 51" they quote are with a 12" tail that you don't have. Hence my question, If you've got 51" without tail it's a different bomb

I see.
    So what bomb do i have here?
    I measure it again the length without the tail is 50.5 - 51 inches , the thickness is 0.2 - 0.3 inches, the suspension lugs is 14 inches apart. I can't check it's diameter. There's only 2 suspension lugs on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast