Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Mills bomb no36 mk1

Article about: Hi Gent's I have had this grenade for about 42 yrs. Used to play around in the back yard pulling the pin and biffing it around. I believe it was probably filled with either baratol or trotyl

Default Mills bomb no36 mk1

Hi Gent's
    I have had this grenade for about 42 yrs.
    Used to play around in the back yard pulling the pin and biffing it around.
    I believe it was probably filled with either baratol or trotyl originally ?
    Thanks for looking.
    Cheers
    Grant
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mills bomb no36 mk1   Mills bomb no36 mk1  

Mills bomb no36 mk1   Mills bomb no36 mk1  

Mills bomb no36 mk1   Mills bomb no36 mk1  

Looks to be in nice condition!

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks Steve,
    Yeah not too bad considering throwing it about in the backyard.!
    Cheers
    Grant

36M Mk1 differs from the 36M in that the screw threads of the Base Plug, the Centre Piece and the Striker Head where it comes out between the shoulders are all covered with a waterproof covering. Trotyl was used for a short run of the 36m only and was obsolete by the Mk1. All Mk1's should be filled with Baratol 20/80 or 40/60. Filling weight 2 Ounces 2 Drams +/- 2 Drams. Later ones did have crystalline TNT as a filling but that was 2 Ounce 7 Drams high or 2 Ounce 2 Drams low.

The fuze was originally a 7 Second fuze but by the Mk1 it had been shortened to 4 Seconds.

Oh, and I destroyed the last ones in British service in early 1982. Although it was manufactured until the mid 80's for the Indian Military. Not bad for something introduced to service in 1917 / 1918.

R

Thank you for the comprehensive info on my grenade appreciate it.
    Cheers
    Grant

Nice example Grant, I notice the marks indicate yours is a British made grenade; Josiah Parkes & Sons. I have a New Zealand made one with a similar history as a back yard chucker. One of my first militaria ornaments given to me by my grandfather 50 years ago.
    The manufacture of these No.36 Mk1 grenades in New Zealand during WW2 involved about 5 engineering companies who turned out nearly 6 million grenades during the war. The letter marks on the casting identifies the marker.

"A" ; Anderson Engineering of Christchurch
    "MP"; Mason & Porter of Auckland (better know for making lawn mowers)
    "SB"; Scott Brothers, quite large scale munitions making.
    "BM" Booth McDonald Foundry of Christchurch

My example is a Drill type, missing a few parts, with the "A" Anderson mark, appropriately.
    I understand the filling of the non Drill types was undertaken by the Ford Motor Company based in Wellington.

Mills bomb no36 mk1Mills bomb no36 mk1Mills bomb no36 mk1

Nice to meet another backyard chucker.
    Thanks for your information. I see a couple of Christchurch makers there (my home town)
    Once my granddad came back from fighting in the islands he worked on Godley heads gun emplacements near Lyttleton.
    My Father said Pop used to guard the munitions bunker and often came home with rabbits he shot with his 303.
    Cheers
    Grant