Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My 2014 KwK43 88mm AP 'Project'

Article about: I'm not going to make any claims for this being from 'one of Peiper's King Tigers' etc , but I've alays hankered after a KwK43 AP round for my collection. However, I'm an impecunious collect

Smile

Quote by Composite View Post
    ....it's dud right?
    Hold on a second.....

My 2014 KwK43 88mm AP  'Project'

Hello! Do you have any more pictures of the red stencil work? Many many thanks

Arrow

Sorry - just back from holiday with no internet access !

Anyhow - here are some pics I just took of the markings.....

Hope these are useful to you.......

Martin,

"The shell was quite rusty but on close examination it was mainly surface rust ; this was no dug-up relic. It also had an excellent base fuze and all had been well deactivated." As this was most likely illegally deactivated I do find that comment somewhat puzzling. There are no legal locations who deactivate ammunition, not in western Europe at least. In Uk the penalty's are severe if caught. Even 'Inerting' SAA is classed as Illegal Modification of ammunition and carries hefty fines or imprisonment.

If however you know of a licenced establishment then I would love the details. But remember if examined / investigated then even trace elements are enough to convict.

Oh, by the way, we used to have a King Tiger at work at one of our other locations. But it was gifted to Bovington (and it was a runner at the time). Bloody Spoil Sports. You would be shocked at how much room there is inside one, they're huge compared to the others from that period.

R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Martin,

"The shell was quite rusty but on close examination it was mainly surface rust ; this was no dug-up relic. It also had an excellent base fuze and all had been well deactivated." As this was most likely illegally deactivated I do find that comment somewhat puzzling. There are no legal locations who deactivate ammunition, not in western Europe at least. In Uk the penalty's are severe if caught. Even 'Inerting' SAA is classed as Illegal Modification of ammunition and carries hefty fines or imprisonment.
    R
    I find the claim "well deactivated" a bit misleading. Looking at the damage on the Fuze Adapter it was thouroughly deactivated by a complete novice

Teck Old Bean,

Do you know any authorised 'deactivators' outside of Government service in Germany?

R

Teck Old Bean,

Do you know any authorised 'deactivators' outside of Government service in Germany?

R
    Quite frankly. It wouldn't be impossible to get the authorisation if there was an approved way of achieving a suitable qualification, which there isn't. I'm not aware of anyone having duped the watchdogs so other than Tauber who are private with a local govt. Contract for UXO I doubt that there's any civilian that legally does it.
    Germany does has enough complete and utter nutters to keep the ied/cbrn Boys and Girls from LKA more than busy so there's no shortage of unlawful Workshops for those in the know

Martin,

If however you know of a licenced establishment then I would love the details. But remember if examined / investigated then even trace elements are enough to convict.

Oh, by the way, we used to have a King Tiger at work at one of our other locations. But it was gifted to Bovington (and it was a runner at the time). Bloody Spoil Sports. You would be shocked at how much room there is inside one, they're huge compared to the others from that period.

R
    I was also fortunate to clamber in and over 104 when it was caged at the, AFV Wing before it was carted off to Bovvy. Mind you, I think the space was large as the turret was devoid of all its innards apart from the smoke discharges!

Also agree that I’m not easy about the fuze being attached to this KwK43 round.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I was also fortunate to clamber in and over 104 when it was caged at the, AFV Wing before it was carted off to Bovvy. Mind you, I think the space was large as the turret was devoid of all its innards apart from the smoke discharges!

Also agree that I’m not easy about the fuze being attached to this KwK43 round.
    Blackcat,

Yep the lack of everything was a shame, but what a lovely piece of kit. I loved the way it was next to, ( or close to) the Chaffee. Like putting a smart car next to an artic! Even better news is when I change my job next year I have even more cool toys to play with.

I nearly worked for Tauber in the 1990's Tech. They never did propper de-mil. So the warning is BEWARE, your inert item is only as good as the criminal who did it!
    Last edited by vegetius; 08-30-2022 at 07:24 AM.

When I was there 104’s stable mate was a friends G13 and OT810, made up SDkfz 251D. It’s a pity that it went off to Bovvy, probably only a matter of time before it might even go abroad on an exchange.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast