Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??

Article about: Greetings Found this at a flea market years ago. Still think it is cool. It appears to be a fired 75mm artillery shell of unknown age. It does have some old roman style numbers on the fuse a

Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??

Hi Rob,

More questions than answers I'm afraid.

Can you have a look at this picture and fill in the Gaps?
    Also, I'm going to assume the Shell is empty (why would Someone sell you a full one) it looks like it may have functioned and separated under the Ring... Can you remove the head without force? It wasn't uncommon to collect pieces of several functioned Shrapnel or Smoke shells and stick them back together as a Souvenir.

Is it Turkish? to keep it simple for my small mind/brain

We think so. We're still trying to work out why it is what it is.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Is it Turkish? to keep it simple for my small mind/brain
    To more Important things. Are you Australian? Or did you just move there because you like poisonous animals and bushfires?
    (I started out accross the ditch)

Born and bred Aussie (but to NL heritage)

Bloody colonials! Teck, that's the nicest comment I've ever heard you say to an Aussie! I shall tell another Kiwi immediately!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Bloody colonials! Teck, that's the nicest comment I've ever heard you say to an Aussie! I shall tell another Kiwi immediately!
    On the floor ya Prick!

?

Hello

Yikes, I never thought that this might be live. All parts of the fuse assembly are deformed from the impact in the same location but the "shell" itself has deformation offset 100' clockwise. This suggests that the fuse assembly although original to the shell and has been moved since impact. I sincerely hope that since this thing has been rattling around for over a hundred years it was deactivated back in the day.

That being said when I look down the "fuse hole" there is material down there about 7-8cm that does not move (see picture).

Given that I am still nervous about removing the fuse in case i damage the artifact (or myself).

The measurement at the very top (non deformed) is 22mm and the base of the brass is 33mm.

The possible Grub Screw looks more like some kind of stamp (see photo) but you can decide.

There is one mark on the shell just below the Fuse Assembly. It looks like a vertical "M" (see photo). Looks like another possibly Arabic character.

Best Regards
    Rob

Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??Mystery 75mm Artillery Shell ??

Acceptance mark Teck?

On the Neck yes. But I'm not yet sure who's... Was hoping to see something i recognise. Has anyone thought of an incendiary filling? Are those cobwebs? Or is that slag in there?

So... Took the easy way out, asked a Turk. Those are ottoman Letters and Numbers, the three on the Neck is actually a turkish 4, on the bottom are a couple of d's (or t's He's not completely sure), an H and something that could be a J followed by another Letter. I was partly right, the turks did change their Alphabet in the 20's, the "Font" is apparently not that normal either these days.
    The turks where as vegetius rightly said taking Delivery of German Ammunition, in this case quite likely from Krupp (I still can't find where I've seen that Proof stamp before) however...
    Everything above the 4 is decidedly French in appearance so someones great grandad might have just been collecting Battlefield scrap and put pieces together that didn't belong together, or (which would be more delightful) some cunning Bastard adapted a Shell to something for which it wasn't intended but He needed. If that's the Case....

He definately was not a Yorkshireman
    Last edited by Teck 147; 03-26-2021 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast