Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

naval 2pdr

Article about: hello again, anyone come across the acronym CRB before? all I could find on google was Cartoucherie Russo-Belge which sounds definately wrong for a 1943 primer. also can you tell from the ph

?

Default naval 2pdr

hello again, anyone come across the acronym CRB before? all I could find on google was Cartoucherie Russo-Belge which sounds definately wrong for a 1943 primer.
    also can you tell from the photo how many times it was re used? thanks

cartdrige:
    2Pdr No 1 Mk II
    EC
    N = Naval
    lot 394
    A 5 = quality control

primer:
    CRB
    8/43
    495 = lot
    No 271 N = type
    Fy43 = ?
    EC

naval 2pdr

Well I guess you know it is British and I think from the 2 Pounder QF 40mm "Pom pom" anti aircraft gun.

I'm not an ordnance collector by any means but I think CRB 8/43 might be a manufacturers code followed by the date of manufacture ie Aug 1943.

Try this site;

Inert Ordnance Collectors

I am registered there but haven't visited in so long that I have forgotten my password!

Please don't forget to update the thread when you find out.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

If you enlarge the letters at 3 0`clock they look like a very poorly stamped EOC,which is Elswick Ordnance Company....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Pete I think it is ECC I have seen it before, probably some Cartridge Company.

The other markings are pretty much as stated, designation, Lot number, (a lot is a homogeneous group of ammunition composing the same components manufactured at the same time that will therefore perform in the same manner). The good old crows foot and the lozenge with the A5 is an acceptance or QA mark.

Likewise the primer is A No27 and is 459 CRB 8/43, (lot 459 made by CRB in August 1943). What this does show is that although the Cart is 1942 dated the round was not assembled until at least Aug 1943.

Quite right Mark, probably a POM POM 2 Pdr HE fitted with an impact Direct Action and Graze Fuze during WW2 but often in WW1 a Time Combustion Fuze.

Hello
    ECC is Edward Curran, Cardiff.

?

fascinating details. Vegetius noted there was quite a delay btwn cart manufacture and assembly. possibly the primer was made overseas? in the US or Canada? and CRB is a reference to some factory there.

do you reckon it was used only once? perhaps refilling small naval 2pdrs wasnt priority, they just threw them away? or simply by august 43, allied air superiority meant that ships didnt use their AA much anymore, and this 2pdr remained in its locker unused till some training excersize years later?

thanks
    Last edited by randi; 02-07-2021 at 10:30 PM.

No markings to indicate re-use so no it was only used once.