Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

The Plymouth SC500 UXB.

Article about: The UK 'media' has taken a lot of interest over the lastweek by the discovery in Plymouth ( quite close to the Naval Dockyard ) of an unexploded Luftwaffe SC500 HE bomb fitted with 'kopfring

Arrow The Plymouth SC500 UXB.

The UK 'media' has taken a lot of interest over the lastweek in the discovery in Plymouth ( quite close to the Naval Dockyard ) of an unexploded Luftwaffe SC500 HE bomb fitted with 'kopfring' to prevent deep ground penetration.
    It was unearthed by someone digging a foundation in their backyard and at one stage over 3,000 inhabitants were advised to leave their homes. The story gradually worked its way to the top of National news reports and this evening is the #1 story on TV news.
    It's now been safely removed by road to a nearby jetty and will be disposed of at sea.

The Plymouth SC500 UXB.

Bad week for a lot of ppl that is thankfully now over.
    How did you find out about the kopfring?
    The "Kopfring" is btw designed to prevent ricochet when used against water targets

Lightbulb

The kopfring was mentioned during aninterview with an Army spokesman. Local historians have suggested the likely date of the bombing raid as 22/23 April, 1941.

The bomb was successfully detonated last night. Some interesting official film of the recovery is being shown this morning. I have to confess that I'm often blase about these things, but the bomb fell among closely-packed housing built over 100 years ago. The nose of the bomb was actually beneath the window of a kitchen - even I would have been rather alarmed to think of a half-ton bomb nestling under my kitchen floor for 80+ years......

Made the 6 o'clock TV news today in Sydney!!! ( just watched it)
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

From one of the English daily newspapers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Plymouth SC500 UXB.   The Plymouth SC500 UXB.  

?

I hope the driver of the lorry had a few pints bought for him last night.
    The bomb was still live as it was driven from it's home of 80+ years to the slipway because the fuse had corroded and couldn't be made safe in situ so the only course of action was to remove the bomb as it was and drive it.
    The whole of Devonport Naval Base was evacuated apart from essential personnel as well as thousands of private properties. Hats off to the logistical planners and those who executed the operation.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Teck,

Not sure where the Kopfring came from either! I shall be talking with someone on Monday as to why descriptions were incomplete if there was one! The hype and fuze details change with every broadcast, and the experts get even more bizarre !

As for the date of it arriving, pure guess work. There is no missing bomb for those dates, it could have been anytime. Knowing the fuzes that were fitted 1943 onwards would have been my guess but that would be speculation but based on the whole picture. However it is always nice to see historians having a go, with time they might get better.

The teams did well, they asked the experts and listened to the answers, well done them, good shout on the actions.

An excellent conclusion to a professional operation!

One can only imagine what was in the minds of anyone who refused to be evacuated from nearby property. What did they think this was, a hand grenade?

As for the media reportage, as some of us are only too well aware regardless of what they are told they will add to it or fill in gaps to suit their editorial brief.

Well done to all concerned.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,

Thank you mate.

R