Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

post 1945, allied or axis

Article about: Hello, would you mind having a look at these fragments off what was an ex range? my guess is they are parts of rockets fired in the 1950s during British/US army training. but in endcap5.jpg

?

Default post 1945, allied or axis

Hello,

would you mind having a look at these fragments off what was an ex range?
    my guess is they are parts of rockets fired in the 1950s during British/US army training.
    but in endcap5.jpg parts labeled F1 & F2 dont match anything I read about PIAT/ENERGA/ Bazooka etc

they remind me more of tops of Panzerfaust 30M Klein, but these are 3" width .

A this ring seems to be some spacer, threaded to accept a cap/tube on either side
    B1 & 2 seem to be part of a bazooka tube leading to warhead, the neck has a set of groves (best visible in 1st photo), to tighten some sort of jubilee clip against?
    C is very light (almost too light to be aluminum), and has threads on both ends.
    D is for some sort of box?
    E is some venturi?

any suggestions are welcome.
    thanks
    R
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture post 1945, allied or axis   post 1945, allied or axis  

A. could be a driving band protector, age, nationality unknown.
    B. a fragment of a warhead possibly maybe a 30lb rocket or similar.
    C. The rocket motor of something like a 3.5 in HEAT free flight rocket.
    D. The fastening clip from a box or securing strap.
    E. A baffle plate out of a small free flight Rocket motor.

The remainder are RUST of unidentifiable sources with the information given.!

?

i appreciate these incomplete fragments dont give much to go on, last weekend i went over this pdf https://stephentaylorhistorian.files...e-ordnance.pdf and found nothing remotely matching F1/F2
    in the general vicinity of these were several .303 and nato 7.62. spent blank cartidges.

F1/F2 are made quite from relatively thick metal, and are both contorted from an explosion which blew them free of its threads and possibly also dented by by frontal impact.
    in the centre are what appears to be the jagged remains of the hole from a broken off nose fuse
    thanks for the suggestions

Don't think B1/B2 are bazooka parts, the warhead on the bazooka isn't that thick at all. It's also possible that if from a military range that not all the bits are necessarily ordnance parts but could be fragments from solid practice targets, old vehicles, machinery. Be very careful, an old range doesn't mean a safe location.

?

thanks for the advice. the photos might not show this well but with b1/b2 the metal apart from shattered, is contorted outward from an explosion . I found a lot more like b1/b2 scattered around, from a succession of practise fire

b1/b2 regards thickness the fat 'warhead' part is 3mm thick , as you said too thick for a bazòoka round.

could it be from a mortar? and the ring indentations are to secure an extra propellant band?
    do the dimensions fit with common mortar sizes?

the radius on b1/b2 are 3cm for shaft and 7cm approx for the fat part

thanks for your interest

?

a baffle plate
    thanks vegetius, that is the word i was looking for. i googled a bit with baffle plate, i found several references to munitions.

i read shells which need to expell items , like smoke canisters, also have a baffle plate between the burster charge and the payload,
    the baffle plate can move the length of the shell pushing the items out.

Q: would you expect to find a fired smoke shell like the one in the image intact and hollow in 1 piece? or would its impact with the ground break it up?

thanks
    R

Seen them in any number of Pyrotechnic type munitions ranging from Rocket motors to as you showed a Smoke Base Ejection Shell.

?

Hello, as an update to myoriginal post with photos. regards the parts marked F1 and F2, I saw a youtube video on a dig where they came across what they identified as british arming vanes .
    Do you think the parts F1 and F2 could be similar? thanks

this is a 4.5" aerial flare using that fuze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=308&v=Karq2D7VoWY&feature=youtu.be