Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

S-Mine 35 pickup!

Article about: This is definitely another "I've wanted this for a while" thread... Finally managed to find a decent example of the well-known German S-Mine or "Bouncing Betty" as it was

CSW
    ?

Default S-Mine 35 pickup!

This is definitely another "I've wanted this for a while" thread...

Finally managed to find a decent example of the well-known German S-Mine or "Bouncing Betty" as it was nicknamed. Quite a beautiful (perhaps not the right word? ) one indeed with most of its original dark yellow paintwork remaining. The mine can be taken completely apart. The internals are a bit dirty as is typically the case with these - which is not an issue unless you decide to pour the shrapnel pieces onto your carpet... yes Brodie, I saw your 2018 thread

This one is a 1944-dated example and has several small markings on the inside. No fuze came with it but that's fine since those are not horribly rare. These mines themselves are becoming slightly scarce though, so I happily added this to my little collection when I saw it.

Thanks for looking!

S-Mine 35 pickup! S-Mine 35 pickup!

And a little "display" with some mine-related thingies I already had.

S-Mine 35 pickup!

That's sweet! Imagine the fear these things provoked... jumping up in the air and going boom, yikes!

CSW
    ?

Yep, no doubt it must've been quite horrifying.

I think almost as terrifying would be finding one with a metal detector. I know some people have found them underground that were already deactivated but personally, I'd have to just walk away...

Wow, great pickup! Always loved the S-Mine. Good to hear you picked up something you wanted for a while, it’s a great feeling!

British and American troops referred to these as 'castrator mines', due to the height at which they exploded. It was common for the Germans to link them together, so that setting off a single mine would cause a chain reaction. Apparently your best chance of surviving one was to throw yourself to the ground, as the mine exploded several feet up, and most of the shrapnel would fly over your head. Not a theory I'd want to field test! It's not surprising that these mines were as feared as they were.

That's a very nice example you've found yourself. Most of these, including my own, are cleaned up relics, but this one looks excellent. A great display setup, too!

Regards, B.B.

CSW
    ?

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Wow, great pickup! Always loved the S-Mine. Good to hear you picked up something you wanted for a while, it’s a great feeling!
    It really is! I thought it'd be a good decision to wait for just the right example instead of hurrying and buying an overpriced one in way worse condition. Happy with the result.

CSW
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    British and American troops referred to these as 'castrator mines', due to the height at which they exploded. It was common for the Germans to link them together, so that setting off a single mine would cause a chain reaction. Apparently your best chance of surviving one was to throw yourself to the ground, as the mine exploded several feet up, and most of the shrapnel would fly over your head. Not a theory I'd want to field test! It's not surprising that these mines were as feared as they were.

That's a very nice example you've found yourself. Most of these, including my own, are cleaned up relics, but this one looks excellent. A great display setup, too!

Regards, B.B.
    Thanks a lot for the comment mate! That's what I've read as well, not quite sure if I would personally be able to react fast enough in a situation like that. Horrible stuff really...

Ryo
    ?

Man.. You must have a really cool collection at home..

Quote by Nordlicht44 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the comment mate! That's what I've read as well, not quite sure if I would personally be able to react fast enough in a situation like that. Horrible stuff really...
    Very nasty mines indeed, and they still turn up regularly on beaches that were once part of the Atlantic Wall. Thankfully, landmines of all sorts are becoming a thing of the past.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast