Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Short French 75mm Shell Case?

Article about: Hi all. Came across this shell case. It appears to be a shorter version of the French 75mm. It is closer to the length of a German 77mm case (to the right for comparison). Primer looks Frenc

Default Short French 75mm Shell Case?

Hi all. Came across this shell case. It appears to be a shorter version of the French 75mm. It is closer to the length of a German 77mm case (to the right for comparison). Primer looks French but there are no discernable markings except two small one which look like they could be oriental, but may just be the remnants of some other markings. If anyone has any idea what this case is for I would be interested to know. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short French 75mm Shell Case?   Short French 75mm Shell Case?  

?

The shell is for a Canon de 75 modèle 1897 I would say. Nice shell anyway

Thank you. It may be for the 1897, however it appears to be a shorter case. I have dug a standard length case out (knew I had one somewhere) for comparison, it does not appear that the shorter one has been cut down as it has the same, slightly "necked down" profile of the larger case. Toffee Apple snuck in there just because it was close
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short French 75mm Shell Case?   Short French 75mm Shell Case?  

?

Might not even be from ww1
    From these pictures i found it sounds like it could be from a SA35 ABS L17.1 which was the 75mm hull gun on a char b1. Heres a polish drawing of the shell

?

German diagram

Looks like we have a winner! Thanks for the diagrams. I think that is the most likely explanation. Cheers

Default Trench Art Lighters from Char B1 75mm & 47mm shell cases

Hi there.
    I found your thread whilst trying to research the above I bought in France at the weekend. They are well made & have clearly been machined somewhere. Larger one is 75mm & the smaller one is 47mm so possibly from a Char B1 SA35 ABS L17.1 Hull gun as suggested by JB4046 & the 47mm turret gun on later models. Many thanks. Bien cordialement Rob.
    Short French 75mm Shell Case?Short French 75mm Shell Case?Short French 75mm Shell Case?