Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Turkish Shell fuse?

Article about: Hello, Can someone help with some information on the attached photos. My Dad has recently passed away and he always had this on his windowsill, he used it as a paperweight. He had no idea wh

Default Turkish Shell fuse?

Hello,
    Can someone help with some information on the attached photos.
    My Dad has recently passed away and he always had this on his windowsill, he used it as a paperweight.
    He had no idea what it was, and couldn’t remember where it had come from, although he was in the Royal Artillery during his national service in the 50s, so presumably recognised it as a shell fuse.
    It is approximately 60mm high, 60mm diameter and 48mm diameter of the thread.
    And it’s heavy. (558g)
    By putting the photo into Google it comes up as being a World War I, Turkish shell fuse (75MM).
    Is this correct?
    Is it at all dangerous?
    Do we have to declare it to any authorities?
    Roughly, what sort of value would you place on it, although I would never get rid of it as it reminds me of my dad.
    Any information at all would be extremely useful to me and the family.
    Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Turkish Shell fuse?   Turkish Shell fuse?  

Turkish Shell fuse?   Turkish Shell fuse?  

Turkish Shell fuse?  

Hello Tibby...the Ordnance gents will be along shortly ...IMO I do not think its dangerous as it is a fuse and not connected to a live full casing.
    Wait for those replies to come.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hello Tibby...the Ordnance gents will be along shortly ...IMO I do not think its dangerous as it is a fuse and not connected to a live full casing.
    Wait for those replies to come.

Regards Larry
    I don't want to be a killjoy but. That is the first one of these I've seen on here with the buster charge base plate in it with no discernable damage from impacting anywhere!
    It may well be a (partially) live Fuze!
    The vent seals are partially burnt out on the safety pellets but the powder train vents for the delay haven't burnt so unless it was disassembled and rsp'd they weren't ignited that's about all I'd be willing to assume from the photos.

The Fuze was indeed used by Turkish forces on their 75mm shrapnel shell. The "text" on the top is for all intents and purposes "turkish" but using the Arabic alphabet modified for turkish use which is why it tends to be quite difficult to find anyone these days that can read it.

Teck, I am happy to be a killjoy! Your identification is spot on, (well done kid)! It is however completely live, the good news is it would be hard to die from it, however losing a hand or a few fingers would be really easy.

As you know unless you spent several weeks learning about fuzes, (spelt with a Z, pet hate) then they are the single most dangerous component. Without getting technical it is something that needs to be dealt with by a professional EOD operator and as it is live explosive it it is likely that knowingly having it is a crime, it is in most countries. I do not recommend tampering with it by attempting to deconstruct it as there lies disaster!

As we are in the business we know this is a case of best dealy with by the official people. Tibby that is the professional answer to your question.

Regards
    R

P.S. Teck, We are seeing so many of these they are getting boring now mate.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Teck, I am happy to be a killjoy! Your identification is spot on, (well done kid)! It is however completely live, the good news is it would be hard to die from it, however losing a hand or a few fingers would be really easy.

As you know unless you spent several weeks learning about fuzes, (spelt with a Z, pet hate) then they are the single most dangerous component. Without getting technical it is something that needs to be dealt with by a professional EOD operator and as it is live explosive it it is likely that knowingly having it is a crime, it is in most countries. I do not recommend tampering with it by attempting to deconstruct it as there lies disaster!

As we are in the business we know this is a case of best dealy with by the official people. Tibby that is the professional answer to your question.

Regards
    R

P.S. Teck, We are seeing so many of these they are getting boring now mate.
    No point getting upset about fuse (wick or electrical safety) instead of fuze, some people here have to use Google and Google has one answer or another for everything.
    I'll stick by partial though due to the fact the pellet is burnt which should have ignited the ring but obviously didn't. Still, I wouldn't be shaking it anytime soon

Thank you for the information.
    When I was a child I threw it out of my bedroom window onto the lawn below to see if it would explode. It didn’t!
    Best wishes.

What should I do with it Vegetius? Can it be made safe so that I can keep it? Who should I contact?

Quote by Tibby6345 View Post
    What should I do with it Vegetius? Can it be made safe so that I can keep it? Who should I contact?
    Who you should contact is entirely dependent on where you are and whether or not it is legal there for someone to remove and dispose of explosives.
    The normal course of action is to ask your own local authorities

I’m in the UK, which is why I asked Vegetius, as his profile shows he is also in the UK. Yours shows you as being in Germany. I had hoped that mine also would show me being in the UK, but I’m brand new to the forum so maybe I haven’t configured that correctly.

Quote by Tibby6345 View Post
    I’m in the UK, which is why I asked Vegetius, as his profile shows he is also in the UK. Yours shows you as being in Germany. I had hoped that mine also would show me being in the UK, but I’m brand new to the forum so maybe I haven’t configured that correctly.
    Fair call. I just live and work here, as vegetius delights to remind me I'm actually an antipodean but we're still colleagues. Getting things ffe'd in the uk is not easy and as an unlicensed you are required to report explosive finds to the police (assuming your Fuze wasn't already disassembled and ffe'd) this may well be the case for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast