Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown 74/54mm projectile

Article about: Please please can anyone help. I picked this up recently, and have no idea on it, well one person has mentioned Belgium. But that was a guess. I have looked on line and books and cant match

havoc
    ?

Default Unknown 74/54mm projectile

Please please can anyone help.
    I picked this up recently, and have no idea on it, well one person has mentioned Belgium. But that was a guess.

I have looked on line and books and cant match it.

Its approx 21cm long , dia accross base aprox 74/75mm hard to be exact.
    Stange twin drive band.
    Part hollow inside, with remains of thread for mabe a base fuze or tracer???????
    It also has a small hole right in the nose,almost like a turning mark.
    It also appears to have a slightly raised rectangle half way up the exterior of the body.
    I just cant place this, has anyone seen anything similar or hopefully the same?

Many thanks,
    Clive
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown 74/54mm projectile  Unknown 74/54mm projectile  Unknown 74/54mm projectile 

Default Re: Unknown 74/54mm projectile

Looks like a 75mm solid shot 'AP' round to me. Not sure which era though. Someone will be able to ID it I'm sure

Steve T

havoc
    ?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Looks like a 75mm solid shot 'AP' round to me. Not sure which era though. Someone will be able to ID it I'm sure

Steve T
    Cheers Steve,
    I gathered Ap, but the inside has quite a hollow.Still a weighty item though. Still stumped on the country.
    Thanks again,
    Clive.

?

It has no crimping grooves, so it would seem wasn't fixed-cartridge ammunition- and German stuff from WWII (which this isn't) had a hollow in the base for a bursting charge, so, depending on the size of the hollow in yours Steve, might not be so odd- if other countries' ammunition did as well (I only know German stuff).
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

havoc
    ?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    It has no crimping grooves, so it would seem wasn't fixed-cartridge ammunition- and German stuff from WWII (which this isn't) had a hollow in the base for a bursting charge, so, depending on the size of the hollow in yours Steve, might not be so odd- if other countries' ammunition did as well (I only know German stuff).
    Cheers Matt,

I have managed to measure the depth of the hollow and its approx 18cm deep to outside base of projectile.
    Thread hole diameter (noting threads are extremley worn) is approx 16mm/1.6cm.

Hope this may be of help.

Clive.