Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unknown ww2 projectile

Article about: Hey, can anyone identify this projectile? At the moment I have nothing but these 2 pictures, once I receive it will measure the caliber which should help alot Thanks

Default Unknown ww2 projectile

Hey, can anyone identify this projectile?

At the moment I have nothing but these 2 pictures, once I receive it will measure the caliber which should help alot

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown ww2 projectile   Unknown ww2 projectile  

?

Hello, it looks like a German artillery shell with drivebands. Raul

Looks like it was a White Phosphorus projectile. I’ve seen a lot of 155mm WP rounds that have looked like this after they have impacted.

In this case size matters. Dimentions are essential and where is it? If that is England or the USA then it is unlikely to be German.

As white phosphorus uses a linear bursting charge then that is very possible. It is however a poor burst of the projectile body so would lead me to suspect less that ideal wartime manufacture.

It is a waterfind (i think) from The Netherlands, it arrives tomorrow so i will measure the caliber then

EDIT:

Got confirmation, it was found on the location where a german munitions train exploded in 1940

Looking at it I change my mind! The driving bands are not scored by the rifling so it is unfired! Therefore WP is less likely. It looks to me as if it has been in a fire and deflagrated, (rapid and fierce burning). The diameter taken immediately bbelow or above the driving band is essential and the length to the ogive ,(where it starts to taper) as well as overall length would be good. As I say an HE but deflagration would be my professional first choice.

Whatever it is, there are no marks on the drive bands - which indicates an unfired shell. Possibly one of a hoard of munitions destroyed after the war?

Got confirmation, it was found on the location where a german munitions train exploded in 1940

but the question remains, what round would this have been?
    as in, what caliber? cannon?

That depends on the size.

Definate deflagration then. Size is required for a positive id though. As to what is it, i would hazard a guess at HE projectile from an artillery piece,( the double driving band is a give away.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast