Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.

Article about: Guys I have picked up a number of 18 pdr shell cases and rounds, I am in the process of restoring them. Is there a website or some documentation you can point me towards, I would like to try

Default WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.

Guys

I have picked up a number of 18 pdr shell cases and rounds, I am in the process of restoring them.

Is there a website or some documentation you can point me towards, I would like to try and identify the maker markings on the shell cases I have , I do find it quite interesting, examining the markings

Cheers in advance

?

You can always just post the shells here and we'll likely have an answer for you.

Will do, off to the polisher tomorrow, so will try and get some pictures on here first

cheers

Here you go guys, bought a job lot of 16 i think, have to re-count !! all with rounds, mainly shrapnel, 1 HE. Will be restoring them over the coming months, may sell a few on here if anyone is interested

Just off the polisher
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.   WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.  

WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.   WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.  

WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.   WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.  

More, plus one polished
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.   WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.  

WW1 British Shell Casings Markings and Manufacturers.  

Any assistance with these maker marks would be very appreciated

?

ALCO is American Locomotive Co...VSM is Vickers Sons & Maxim... K is Kynoch....that`s all folks......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I believe the 'C.F.' markings on most of them indicate a full charge of propellant.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I believe the 'C.F.' markings on most of them indicate a full charge of propellant.

B.B.
    Cheers

The CF means cordite filled rather than black powder

cheers

Quote by zwerge View Post
    ALCO is American Locomotive Co...VSM is Vickers Sons & Maxim... K is Kynoch....that`s all folks......Pete.
    Thanks buddy

The american made ones are interesting, i have the ALCO fuses as well

they caused lots of problems at the Somme apparently, due to rushed production and lack of expertise, 15% were duds

cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast