Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Large German Shell marking

Article about: Hi Guys, I have been offered a very large WW1 German shell to come in for auction at work. I am stuck with regard to the marking on it "Norm F" ? Any ideas as to the meaning of thi

Default WW1 Large German Shell marking

Hi Guys, I have been offered a very large WW1 German shell to come in for auction at work. I am stuck with regard to the marking on it "Norm F" ? Any ideas as to the meaning of this? Sorry no pics.

But it stands 5 feet 2 inches in height.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Might denote that the ordnance filler is normal "Norm Füller"?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Might denote that the ordnance filler is normal "Norm Füller"?
    I'm not convinced.
    German (explosive) fillers we're refered to as F.P. or Fullpulver

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, I have been offered a very large WW1 German shell to come in for auction at work. I am stuck with regard to the marking on it "Norm F" ? Any ideas as to the meaning of this? Sorry no pics.

But it stands 5 feet 2 inches in height.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ade.
    The calibre estimate would be a great Help If you can get one

Normal Fuze ?
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

?

Then it would be zünder not fuze

Norm is not a standard German marking according to the 1918 General Staff notes on German Shell. F is FRANZőSISCH - French.

Ade, send me the details and any pictures, (with a scale if possible) and I'll let you know the identity.

R

Thanks!

Here is the only pic I have.

Shell: Blue & Yellow
    Height: 5'2"
    Girth at base: 47"
    Markings; 2210 (stamped on the blue section); "Norm F" (on the yellow).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Large German Shell marking  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Must be a 15" naval projectile. Which capital ships had 15" guns? Beyond my knowledge base.
    John

Looks Like a 38cm S.K. Shell, which means anything from ships artillery or coastal defence to maybe even a 38cm K Siegfried railway gun.
    I'll have a look at work time permitting

WW1 Large German Shell marking Bild: Belot

If it is, then it weighs just under 400kg and is normally fuzed Nose and Tail. Only the yellow piece is Shell, the blue piece is for ballistics.
    If the 2210 is stamped directly above the join there should be a corresponding Stamp on the Shell.
    Somewhere here are the Manufacturing Instructions, if I can find them there might be something to explain the Norm.F
    Last edited by Teck 147; 03-29-2022 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Nachtrag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast