Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 German bomb parts iD help please

Article about: My father or grandfaher picked these bits up during WW2 and made a doorstop by turning the nose cone around, it is solid iron/steel with a flat base. I can't find any images of bombs with th

rus
    ?

Default WW2 German bomb parts iD help please

My father or grandfaher picked these bits up during WW2 and made a doorstop by turning the nose cone around, it is solid iron/steel with a flat base.
    I can't find any images of bombs with this shape nose cone and a propellor. They might not be off the same bomb.
    I can't see any markings. Does anyone recognise the parts?
    It weighs about 2.3 Kg and is about 42 cm tall.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German bomb parts iD help please  

I read that the Russians used such bombs - The Steel Rod/Pole is there to detonate the bomb before it's embedded in the frozen ground and snow, which would lessen the explosive impact...I didn't know that the Germans used them...
    -Glenn-

I think the clockwork propeller might be Japanese rather than German, can't recall any German bombs activating this way.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to...I see that the Germans had a similar version...
    The nose extension ensured that the bomb would detonate before embedding itself in the frozen ground...
    Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 German bomb parts iD help please  WW2 German bomb parts iD help please 

A couple of things are required for an identification. Firstly better pictures with a scale please. Secondly any known history, where you are, where might your father or grandfather have got them. Any markings or colours.

With these details an identification is possible but it looks a little odd to me at the moment The Italians use a fuze not dissimilar the Type O mechanical impact tail fuze, but.......

Quote by vegetius View Post
    A couple of things are required for an identification. Firstly better pictures with a scale please. Secondly any known history, where you are, where might your father or grandfather have got them. Any markings or colours.

With these details an identification is possible but it looks a little odd to me at the moment The Italians use a fuze not dissimilar the Type O mechanical impact tail fuze, but.......
    Is the Photo really that bad that I'm missing the thread!?
    Is it a fuze? Or just a spindle

German Rodded Bombs...also known as Dinort Rods...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German bomb parts iD help please  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 German bomb parts iD help please 

rus
    ?

Quote by vegetius View Post

As far as I know they were dropped in Lincolnshire in England, and father/grandfather picked the bits up locally - there were some bomb-holes in nearby fields.
    The propellor assembly is approx. 125mm long, and swivels - ie the propellor screws to the assembly and it all swivels.
    The base is approx 120mm diameter and 40mm tall.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German bomb parts iD help please   WW2 German bomb parts iD help please  

Looks very much like a No.21/22 tail pistol

rus
    ?

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    Looks very much like a No.21/22 tail pistol
    It is certainly simiilar, and I learned something today as I had never heard of tail pistols.

I have found some markings under the paint, so with the arrow it is definitely British?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German bomb parts iD help please   WW2 German bomb parts iD help please  

WW2 German bomb parts iD help please  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast