Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII german incendiary bomb?

Article about: Good afternoon, I am currently on holiday at my Grandparents and though I would post this. He has had it for many years, his father picked it up during his service as a firewatcher during th

RTH
    ?

Exclamation WWII german incendiary bomb?

Good afternoon,

I am currently on holiday at my Grandparents and though I would post this. He has had it for many years, his father picked it up during his service as a firewatcher during the Blitz (he was refused service due to a lazy eye). The story goes that he had it defused by a friend and has had it ever since. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any information on it, I'm sure Grandpa would be very interested.

Many thanks

PS. Let me know if anyone wants better pictures.

Standard German 1 Kg Incdy. No explosive tail or IBEN or IBSEN. Please do not try to defuze them, it is really stupid and also illegal. I have about 30 of them at work of different versions so thanks for the offer of pictures but not for me thanks chef.

R

RTH
    ?

Thank you - I think it was defused at the time.

Looks like a good german incendiary. Looks to have the heavy 'tile breaker' steel end (i have one the same dated 42), and painted red after it was dropped, to show its safe.

My Granddad was a Warden during the Liverpool Blitz and these were all over the place as you can imagine.

One actually landed in his front garden and was discovered later in the war, he put it in a bucket of water for weeks.

I think that was a general procedure during the war?

Never seen one with red paint on it before?

Nice example though.

The red paint I believe indicated inert. However having seen some of the practices they carried out I would need a second opinion. We still get them occasionally, they are a pleasent diversion as they are easy to deal with. It is not however uncommon to find live blind ones so care must always be taken.

R

I recall being told about a live one that was found wedged into the top of a house door porch in the city of Bath. It was found when the house was being updated by a new owner. The incendiary had gone through the roof but for what ever reason it did not ignite. The RLC collected it and took it away.

I lived in bath but the nearest I did was one in Salisbury.

R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    The red paint I believe indicated inert. However having seen some of the practices they carried out I would need a second opinion. We still get them occasionally, they are a pleasent diversion as they are easy to deal with. It is not however uncommon to find live blind ones so care must always be taken.

R
    Second opinion.
    The practice bombs were single piece, completely painted (Oxide) red and mostly noone bothered to drill the holes in the side to make them look real.
    I've seen the B1e/B1,3e with vanes and fuse painted green, grey and red (probably just rustproofing, possibly after being picked up). The bomb itself almost never has any Paint left due to oxidation.
    The ones I've seen all looked real enough but never require special treatment so I never lost anytime thinking about why the colours are used

For Grandpa:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast