Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?

Article about: Wondering if this EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber looks to be an authentic piece. Haven't come across much information on determining authenticity. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron

Default EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?

Wondering if this EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber looks to be an authentic piece. Haven't come across much information on determining authenticity. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron

EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction? EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?

EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction? EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?

EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?
    P
    Many

These scanner images are a little too bright to see some of the details, but,
    Here is a bronze grade to compare, with some discussion around this maker.
    Ewe made Panzerkampf Abzeichen
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    These scanner images are a little too bright to see some of the details, but,
    Here is a bronze grade to compare, with some discussion around this maker.
    Ewe made Panzerkampf Abzeichen
    Ralph.
    Thanks Ralph. These are the pictures on the seller's site. I have seen that there are some high quality reproductions of this maker. Are there any die flaws or marks on an original that one can look for?

Quote by Shockwave View Post
    Thanks Ralph. These are the pictures on the seller's site. I have seen that there are some high quality reproductions of this maker. Are there any die flaws or marks on an original that one can look for?
    Hi Ron,
    A couple of features to look for on originals is, lots of hand finishing on the reverse, the hinge pin usually protrudes from the hinge on one side, a "tool scrape" on the attaching pin, a dished reverse, the horizontal lines in the letter "E" of the makers mark should not be all of the same length, the middle stroke should be shorter than the top and bottom one, and a small circular plate on the catch to solder to the badge.

This one seems to have all of these attributes, but the hand finishing on the reverse is difficult to see on these photos.

Here is another of mine to compare.
    Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, EWE.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hi Ron,
    A couple of features to look for on originals is, lots of hand finishing on the reverse, the hinge pin usually protrudes from the hinge on one side, a "tool scrape" on the attaching pin, a dished reverse, the horizontal lines in the letter "E" of the makers mark should not be all of the same length, the middle stroke should be shorter than the top and bottom one, and a small circular plate on the catch to solder to the badge.

This one seems to have all of these attributes, but the hand finishing on the reverse is difficult to see on these photos.

Here is another of mine to compare.
    Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, EWE.
    Ralph.
    Thanks. It does seem to have numerous characteristics you have mentioned.
    I have read that EWE badges can have irregular cutouts, but was wondering if the way one of the swastika arms is cut out is normal for this maker. Also the catch seems "sunken". Does this still occur with an original. As far as any hand finishing, almost seems like the first E in "EWE" has been slightly hand finished away possibly consistent with tooling?

Quote by Shockwave View Post
    I have read that EWE badges can have irregular cutouts, but was wondering if the way one of the swastika arms is cut out is normal for this maker. Also the catch seems "sunken". Does this still occur with an original. As far as any hand finishing, almost seems like the first E in "EWE" has been slightly hand finished away possibly consistent with tooling?
    The way the swastika cut out is shaped could come down to hand finishing, as could the letter "E" in the maker's mark.
    I don't believe the catch could be "sunken" in as it should have a small circular plate to allow proper soldering to the badge.
    I just don't want to tell you that it looks good and you purchase it only to find out that it is not.
    I suggest you wait for other opinions.
    There are very good fakes of this maker out there.
    Ralph.

I can see the outline of the circular plate in the straight on picture. As well as the characteristics you mentioned that seem to check out, I have read that originals of this maker retain the plated finish well as does this example. Also that the hubs on the roadwheels on originals are smaller than repros. This also seems to look good on this one comparing it to repros seen here. As well, this one does not seem to show the high reverse rim or "soft scoop" seen on repros. Looks to be more tooled to me. It is truly a minefield avoiding reproductions. Thanks for your help and opinions Ralph. Ron.

Default Just received this EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen in silber

Recently added this EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen in silber to my collection. Attributes of this badge appear to be consistent with it being an original such as:

Dished reverse, hand filing on reverse, middle horizontal stroke of the "E" shorter than the top and bottom one, small circular catch base buried under solder, noticeably smaller roadwheels hubs as is found on originals, hinge pin protruding from the hinge on one side, a "tool scrape" on the attaching pin and a good silver plated finish still remaining.

I am also including pictures of a reproduction silver EWE PAB I have for comparison. Note on the reproduction there is very little hand finishing, a pronounced 'soft scoop' that makes it appear to have a high rear rim, middle horizontal stroke of the "E" is the same length as the top and bottom one, roadwheel hubs are larger and there is an absence of a plated finish. Ron

EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?
    EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?
    EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?EWE Panzerkampf Abzeichen silber Authentic or Reproduction?

If that other badge is fake, it's a damn good one...They both look original to me...