MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

PAB in Silver EWE

Article about: Hello All! I am pretty new to the game of badges/medals. I picked up a Silver PAB made by EWE. I usually stick to helmets and daggers, but I have wanted one for a long time. To me, the EWE m

Default PAB in Silver EWE

Hello All!

I am pretty new to the game of badges/medals. I picked up a Silver PAB made by EWE. I usually stick to helmets and daggers, but I have wanted one for a long time.

To me, the EWE maker mark looks correct and it is clear that on the reverse of the badge the edges were correctly hand filed around the eagle by the maker. The gun barrel is parallel and not dropping like I have seen on other EWE fakes.

Did I get a good one or a lemon?

BTW, thank you for this thread, lots of a great info for yonger (25 years old) collectors!! Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAB in Silver EWE   PAB in Silver EWE  

PAB in Silver EWE  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement PAB in Silver EWE
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum,

I'm not a fan of this one. These EWE badges are copied to a very high standard that makes it difficult to tell sometimes by pictures alone. But the lack of more rigorous hand filing on the reverse, and the pronounced 'soft scoop' that makes it appear to have a high rear rim cause me concerns. The poor quality finish to the badges obverse side is also a bit of a red flag. It may help if you could take a couple of close up focussed shots of the reverse with the pin down, showing the toolmark on the bend at the the hinge end and also the pin tip.

I have been wrong before on these EWE badges though, so best wait for other informed replies before binning it!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default A few more pictures to assist!

Thanks for the info and here are a few more pictures (I hope I got the angles you talked about).

The badge came from the vet in a cigar box with a bunch or iron crosses, war merit crosses, etc and they were all good. But after reading and pouring over this thread, I had to ask.

But the lack of some areas for filing had given me some concern. I am a fish out of water when it comes to PABs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAB in Silver EWE   PAB in Silver EWE  

PAB in Silver EWE  

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I see that you have viewed the thread on my EWE PAB.
    Ewe made Panzerkampf Abzeichen
    Here is a photo of the maker's mark that was not posted in that thread. Take note of the middle horizontal stroke of the "E". It should be shorter than the top and bottom one. Also, the catch should not have a round base plate. The silver grade of this badge is quite rare and I have only seen one or two in the time I have been collecting. I am sorry to say, I concur with Ned that this is not an original.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAB in Silver EWE  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks to both for the new pic's and thoughts,

I agree with Ralph about the maker mark being different, that's unequivocable imo. But I have seen genuine EWE badges where there is a small circular catch base, it's just that often they are buried under solder. Here's a genuine EWE PAB in silver which is as Ralph says, extremely rare. Checkout the roadwheels where there is a noticable difference in the wheel hubs, the genuine ones being smaller. The maker mark, less pronounced 'scoop' and the circular catch plate are also shown.

Regards, Ned.

PAB in Silver EWEPAB in Silver EWEPAB in Silver EWEPAB in Silver EWE
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.