Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampabzeichen x 2 ....real ?

Article about: hello all....looking for input on these two tank badges, primarily the "25" ....they are coming up in a local auction and I am wondering if they are real....I only have these two p

Default Panzerkampabzeichen x 2 ....real ?

hello all....looking for input on these two tank badges, primarily the "25" ....they are coming up in a local auction and I am wondering if they are real....I only have these two pictures as pulled from the catalog but I am hoping to avoid a 50 mile trip to put my hands on them....pictures are not great but I am hoping the knowledge base may see some obvious clues....thanks in advance !

"Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampabzeichen x 2 ....real ?
    P
    Many

Please read this thread regarding posting multiple items in one thread.
    Uploading photos and posting multiple items.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Spending large $$$ on a numbered PAB with these two photos is not wise. High quality fakes exist that require close inspection of minor details. I will say, based on these two photos, I do not like the 25. Better photos may revel more... It is a JFS example.

Of what little I can see, there are two features the give me pause.

JFS dies wore down over time. On early made examples there are two features that should match up (or so I have observed - happy to stand corrected). The reverse should have an oblong impression on the backside of the award surrounding the catch. On the obverse, on early made examples, the eagles talons are fully formed.

As time went on, the dies wore down, the eagles talons showed signs of deterioration while on the reverse, this oblong impression went away, leaving a flat unmarked surface.

Your photos show well formed talons but no oblong impression on the reverse.

Between new dies and heavily worn dies you will see a combination of these observation. But for this example it is too far off IMHO

This is just what I have observed with the few that I have handled. Other who know more can correct me in this observation

And what's up with the chunk of the wreath missing at the top near the eagles wings? Did it chip off or poor casting of the copy?

If you don't have Philippe DeBocks reference books (expensive and out of print) these two threads, especially the first, should give you almost all the details you need to look for when holding them in hand....

Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25" JFS

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe 50 JFS

If you have a scale, weigh and measure it as well. Should be 61.73mm high and 41.79mm wide. Weight is 30 to 33 grams
    Last edited by MAP; 09-23-2020 at 01:49 AM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated......the collection being auctioned is mainly firearms with a few militaria items, there were also two wound badges which are copies along with other odds and ends..I suspect the local auction house and previous owner may not have been aware of the fakes....at this point everything is suspect, although the guns look good....thanks again