Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Any Info for 2nd Lt Władysław Różański

Article about: Evening I'm looking for any information for a 2nd Lt Władysław Różański he served in the Polish Army and received four medals; Medal Za Udzial w Walkach o Berlin Medal fo

Default Any Info for 2nd Lt Władysław Różański

Evening

I'm looking for any information for a 2nd Lt Władysław Różański he served in the Polish Army and received four medals;
    Medal Za Udzial w Walkach o Berlin
    Medal for Participation in the Battle of Berlin

Medal Za Odre, Nyse i Baltyk
    Oder, Neisse and Baltic Medal

Medal Za Warszawe 1939-1945 - Warsaw Medal

Medal Zwycięstwa i Wolności 1945
    Medal of Victory and Freedom 1945

All I now is that he served in the East, Russia as far as I'm aware.

I have a few pictures, see attached and a card showing that he was married to a Helena but that's about it. If any one can shed light on the parade picture i.e. any names of officers etc would be a Bruce'y bonus.

Obviously, there's nothing that comes up on an English Google search but wondered if anyone could try a Polish one or even better army records?

Plus translations would be a help into English.

TIA Stefan

Any Info for 2nd Lt Władysław RóżańskiAny Info for 2nd Lt Władysław RóżańskiAny Info for 2nd Lt Władysław RóżańskiAny Info for 2nd Lt Władysław Różański

All the medals you mention are communist awards. So he certaintly served in the Polish/Soviet army. He would also have received the Grunwald Cross....and if he stayed in the army also Cross of Merit + Long Service awards.
    My best guess is 1st Polish Corps (began as 1st Infantry Division but evolved to a Corps), but he may have been enrolled in Soviet units.

The 1st Infantry Division was formed in May 1943 under Soviet supreme command in Sielce near the Oka River and was organized according to the rules of a Red Army Guards Rifle Division. It consisted mostly of former Polish soldiers and officers, who were deported to Gulag camps in 1939 when the Soviet annexed Eastern Poland as a part of the Hitler-Stalin Pact. On July 15, 1943 (the anniversary of the Battle of Grunwald) the division took the military oath and pleaded loyalty to the Soviet Union. From October 12-14, 1943 the division fought at the Battle of Lenino, where it sustained some 25% losses, and after a regrouping at Smolensk it formed the basis of the I Polish Corps. After several deployments on the Western Front the division ended the war fighting in Berlin near the Reichstag and was awarded the Gold Cross of Virtuti Militari. It's first commander was Zygmunt Berling.
    In 1955 the division was reorganized into 1st “Warsaw” Mechanised Division being a part of the Warsaw Military District. It was disbanded on September 1, 2011.Any Info for 2nd Lt Władysław Różański
    The regimental badge of 1st “Tadeusz Kosciuszko” ID (the badge was introduced on 12.10.1946)

Regards Aahauge