Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?

Article about: Dear fellow collectors, here I come again with a question regarding cap eagles of the Polish forces in the East. This time no Kuricas though, but rather an eagle I cannot identify and that s

?

Default Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?

Dear fellow collectors, here I come again with a question regarding cap eagles of the Polish forces in the East. This time no Kuricas though, but rather an eagle I cannot identify and that seems to conform to the traditional pre-war Republic eagles designs.
    Now here come the incriminated photos of Berling in which I found trace of this non-Kurica eagle being used at some point by the Polish I Corps/First Army. I could not find more info on the time when they were taken unfortunately.
    Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?

Now here I've made some enlargements of the cap eagles. Not very good at all, but somewhat clearer. For example in the side cap photo I seem to clearly distinguish a shield in the lower part of the cap badge. Not sure at all whether there's a crown though.
    Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?

And here instead I will probably anger some of you! I have made a quick search in my modest archive and online to identify eagles that (to me) kind of potentially look like that one worn by Berling. I have found them defined as British made WWII and pre-war Republic. So I know, this collage is probably a mess.
    Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?

Hope this little quest for this (to me) unknown cap eagle will be of your interest!

?

Right, part of this mystery is resolved. The photo with Berling wearing a parade uniform seem to date to 1947 (Dr Jarosław Pałka: Zygmunta Berlinga do zdrady popchnęła ambicja | dzieje.pl - Historia Polski). Assuming that the other one does too we have an easy answer to the reason why we see no Kurica. But am I blind or the eagle he is wearing does have a shield inscribed in its lower part??
    If yes, I have never seen a post-war communist eagle with said feature..

My take on this would be that both of Berling’s caps have pre-war eagle badges with one or both having the crowns removed. This was common practice, especially with the larger wz.19 pattern eagles found on rogatywki (pictured below). Keep in mind that early on crowned eagles were worn until early post war when the Soviet overlords turned the screws in on the Poles. Even the first Soviet made Cross of Valour (with 1943 date) displayed a crowned eagle.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Which cap eagle was Berling wearing?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Very valid points. And thanks also for that comment on the 1943 Cross of Valour, I was not aware of that.

Best,

GC