Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Comminist-era Virtuti Militari

Article about: Hello guys, Could you help me identifying this silver VM cross? PRL stuff is not my cup of tea but I think it's a National Mint-made cross. Any details on the cross (including estimated mark

Default Comminist-era Virtuti Militari

Hello guys,
    Could you help me identifying this silver VM cross? PRL stuff is not my cup of tea but I think it's a National Mint-made cross. Any details on the cross (including estimated market value) would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Tom

Last edited by Thomas the Tank Engine; 07-05-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Default Re: Comminist-era Virtuti Militari

Hi guys,
    I've finally managed to identify this VM cross. It appears to be a late WW2 Moscow-made decoration.

Regards,
    Tom

I believe that mine is similar to yours:
    Identifying a Virtuti Militari period of issue/production
    Can you help me on the identification?
    If they match, can you tell me the period of production of those comunist made VM's???

fpicoli, I don't know much about the communist VM crosses, but yours looks definitely like a post-war Polish National Mint-made one. Notice a superior quality of the typeface comparing to my wartime cross.

Regards,
    Tom

I'm a newbie here and have a starting question. My late father-in-law received a VM from WW2 which i believe is a original made by the Moscow State Mint. Would anyone have a photo of such a medal that they can post so that i can see if it matches the original one?? Many thanks

Tom,
    I may have the same medal from my late father-in-law. Were you ever able to find an estimate of market value. I ask because I am attempting to collect an extra set of medals for my younger son to also have that represent what his grandfather was awarded in WW2.

Hello a.c. and welcome to the forum.

This is the Moscow produced version of the Virtuti Militari. There were several variants of the VM produced so if this one doesn’t match your father-in-law’s cross please strive to post pictures here and we’ll then be able to ID it for you.

Occasionally the Polish People’s Army Virtuti Militari Medal for Lenino is confused as being an award of the Virtuti Militari, so if your father-in-law’s decoration appears like this you’ll know what you have:

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

A.J.
    Thank you very much for all the info. As I said in my opening question I am a newbie on an extreme learning curve. Please see below photos (I hope i have uploaded correctly)Comminist-era Virtuti MilitariComminist-era Virtuti MilitariComminist-era Virtuti Militari
    What I am attempting to do is to acquire a second set of medals for my youngest son to have to show what his grand dad received during the second World War. To that end, i was wondering if you would kindly provide some additional info please:-
    (1) what would a market price for another original VM be from the Moscow State Mint??
    (2) do you know where i could go to attempt to acquire another similar VM??? happy to approach dealers that you can recommend etc etc.
    (3) My late father-in-law also was awarded several other Polish medals and i would dearly like to get the above info for each of these original medals.
    (4) From trawling through this and other threads i have surmised that it is preferable to keep the medal and ribbon in original condition - so i presume that it is highly preferable not to clean the medal or to replace the original ribbon - would you advise and comment on this please.
    Once again, many many thanks for all your help, advice and assistance as i have already noticed the immense number of copies, replicas and reproductions that are available on places like eBay so i really need all the help that i can get!!! - lol.
    Any reputable websites/dealers that you can recommend for acquiring Polish WW2 medals would be of immense help.
    Thanks again A.J. and all the thread people - your help is gratefully accepted.

Hi again, and you're most welcome. Your gift to your youngest son is a wonderful idea which will instill in him an appreciation for your grandfather's military service and nurture what will hopefully become a lifelong interest in history.

Over to your questions:
    1) I do not collect communist era items and do not follow the market so cannot comment knowledgeably on values. The Moscow VM's are scarce, and prices will reflect that, so don't plan on finding a genuine example for under $100, or even $200. Google "Moscow Virtuti Militari" and you should be able to pick up some old auction links.
    2) The best place to look would be the Allegro internet auction site in Poland. Keep an eye on ebay as well. There are also many internet based militaria sites that you'll need to scour, although few have Polish items. Consider contacting some of them to let them know what you are after. Be prepared to wait a while, but eventually one will pop up. And post any prospective purchases here before making a decision to buy.
    3) Post your late father-in-law's other Polish medals. In contrast to the pre-WW2 and Polish Army in Exile, The Polish People's Army and post war national decorations were more liberally awarded and as such are generally more readily available and there's a good likelihood you'll find them much easier (and for much cheaper) than the VM.
    4) Yes, it is definitely preferable to keep the medal and ribbon in original condition. Cleaning is only necessary to remove any encrusted deposits of dirt or other foreign matter, or corrosive verdigris. Otherwise, an item with natural patina and wear is a beautiful thing and should be left as is.

Best wishes,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony,
    fantastic info - many many thanks.
    BTW I've just checked eBay and saw the following Moscow VM on offer:-Comminist-era Virtuti Militari
    Attachment 816912Comminist-era Virtuti Militari
    asking price is USD$750.00 being sold by polishmilitaria. Lucky I was sitting down when i saw this - lol.
    Should I post my late father-inlaw's other Polish medals - if so would you please advise the best link to do this.
    I have also placed an advert looking to buy a Moscow VM, i'll see what comes up.
    If you come across any Moscow VM's in your travels on this site or any other thread or venue would you please kindly let me know as i would greatly appreciate any additional info on other sources etc.
    Once again many thanks Tony for all you info & help.
    Best
    Michael.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast